Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Is there a better way to get a 150 AP license for a controller?

I have a question about licensing the 5508 series WLAN controllers.  I have three 5508 controllers with 150 AP licenses on them.

I would like to increase them to 300 APs each.  That would mean that I need a “150 AP license”.  I don’t see a 150 AP license in the list for sale, so I am wondering if there is another way.  I obtained pricing and the 100 AP license is much cheaper per AP than the 50 AP adder license.

Is it possible to purchase a 500 AP license and divide it into three 150 AP licenses and have a 50 AP license left over?

This is all I could find... but did hear a rumour about 5760s could divide licenses.      

license rules.png

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Is there a better way to get a 150 AP license for a controll

What you need to look at is where should you have your backup.  The reason I say this is that if your AP's need to fail to another WLC, how does that affect the clients and subnets the clients are on or need to be on.  Your best bet is redundancy either at each location using an WLC HA sku in an AP SSO or N+1 or if failover is okay if the clients have to be moved to a different subnet due to AP's joining another WLC, then purchase a WLC5508 HA SKU and use that as an N+1 backup for all 3 WLC's you have.  You don't need to purchase license for the HA sku:)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
7 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Hi,

There is really nothing you can do if you purchased a WLC with a base license150. Base license you can't move... Adder license you can.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

VIP Purple

All together u have 150 AP Licencse or on each ???

Can you please explain it and how do you want in future ?

Regards

VIP Purple

AS per my Knowedge you can not break or divide the adder license.

Example: If you buy 100 AP adder lic. then you can install 50 AP lic on one wlc and 50 AP on another WLC.

If you have multiple controllers and want to upgrade all of them, you can order multiple quantities of each upgrade license in one transaction (for example, you can order 10 each of the -25U, -50U, -100U, and -250 upgrade licenses), for which you receive one PAK with one license. You can continue to register the PAK for multiple controllers until it is exhausted.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

You can't purchase a 500 and split them. You would need to buy a 100 AP license and a 50 AP license.

Now depending on your setup, you can convert a WLC that has 50 ap license into an HA WLC. So you can either use AP SSO or N+1. HA WLC's don't require you to purchase licensing, only on the primary.

AP SSO basically is one WLC with license and the other as a hot backup

N+1 is basically one of your WLC that has 50+ license and is a backup that can support up to 500 AP's as a failover WLC without having to purchase anymore license.

You can't transfer license from your 5598 to a 5760 buy the way, it would be new licensing, but yes they share licensing.

Here are some links

N+1
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide.pdf

AP SSO
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Environment looks like this:

Three sites, each with a 150 licensed 5508. Sites are dispersed around the country.

Site one has 150 APs (growth expected)

Site two has 83 APs (growth expected)

Site three has 68 APs (just went from 67 to 68) (again, imminent growth)

Sites are large manufacturing campuses. If site one's controller fails, the APs would have to split up and go to the other two sites. Yuck.

Site two can no longer back up site three since the license is too small.

Site three has same problem - it cannot be backed up by site two.

Site three has had both power supplies fail in the same day, taking the site offline. True story.

What is the *right* thing to do here?

Option one - Bump up license on site one to 400 AP license to handle site two and three if their controllers failed and to add a 50 AP licensed controller (at site one) and put it in AP SSO mode as a backup?

As a second option, I was thinking about bumping up site two and three to 300 APs so either one could handle site one if the controller (primary and backup) failed. This would not be optimal since the all traffic would traverse the WAN, but could happen if strategically placed power failures happened.

What you need to look at is where should you have your backup.  The reason I say this is that if your AP's need to fail to another WLC, how does that affect the clients and subnets the clients are on or need to be on.  Your best bet is redundancy either at each location using an WLC HA sku in an AP SSO or N+1 or if failover is okay if the clients have to be moved to a different subnet due to AP's joining another WLC, then purchase a WLC5508 HA SKU and use that as an N+1 backup for all 3 WLC's you have.  You don't need to purchase license for the HA sku:)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
VIP Purple

First thing you can split the 400 AP licences between 2 WLCs.

The only way to get each AP with 300 WLC license.(U have to buy adder licences).

My Suggestion(Its expensive but we have this one.)

Every site should have 2 WLC.(redudantely)

FOR thi you can by One 300 AP License WLC and other WLC with HA SKU (Means zero Licence).

If each site have 2 WLCs then you dont have to worry about failover or WAN line.

this is my point of view, rest depends on you.

Regards

Views
Helpful
Replies