cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to disable the radios in a lightweight environment?

nh6we
Level 1
Level 1

I am bring up a new wireless network (complete with new controller and AP's) in a environment with existing temporay AP's.  The tempory AP's will be replaced with the new wireless network once testing has been completed.  Other than disabling the ssid is there anything else I can do to prevent the new wireless network from interfering with the temporary one.  Is there any other parameter I can disable on the new controller?  Maybe a way to turn off the radios?

Thanks for any sugguestions

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

nh6we,

Like some of the others that posted correctly, there are a few choices. The reason I mentioned to disable the admin status as opposed to using the AP Groups is that when you move an AP to a different group, the AP needs to reboot. It really comes down to your cutover. I script a lot of things and I would run two wireless environments in parallel but have the new APs admin down. This way when my customer is ready to cutover, he brings down the old wireless and I paste the commands to admin up all the AP's. takes less than a minute to do 500. This way I also don't have to worry about AP's not coming up just in case. So that's why I do it that way.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I typically adim down the status of the AP until I'm ready to cutover.  This way the AP is up and joined to the WLC, but the radios are disabled.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Scott, within NCS or WCS where do I go to do this

Thanks

I usually script it an run it from the wlc cli. You should be able to create a template on wcs or ncs to disable the access point.

-Scott

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest  you the following solution -

Disabling the Reset Button on Access Points Converted to Lightweight Mode

You can disable the reset button on access points converted to lightweight mode. The reset button is labeled MODE on the outside of the access point.

Use this command to disable or enable the reset button on one or all converted access points associated to a controller:

config ap reset-button {enable | disable} {ap-name | all}

The reset button on converted access points is enabled by default.

Hope this will help you

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest  you the following solution -

Disabling the Reset Button on Access Points Converted to Lightweight Mode

You can disable the reset button on access points converted to lightweight mode. The reset button is labeled MODE on the outside of the access point.

Use this command to disable or enable the reset button on one or all converted access points associated to a controller:

config ap reset-button {enable | disable} {ap-name | all}

The reset button on converted access points is enabled by default.

Hope this will help you.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Other than disabling the ssid is there anything else I can do to prevent the new wireless network from interfering with the temporary one.

Put the new APs in a new AP Group and the old APs in the "default" AP group.  Or the other way around ...

It's unfortunate others don't read the actual question before cutting and pasting comments that don't apply ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey,

Guess we have a new feature whcih is "out of the box AP" which will not broadcast any SSIDs till you uncheck that box..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Regards
Surendra BG

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Abhishek,

If you read the subject of this post it say's, "Is there a way to DISABLE the RADIOS in a lightweight environment?". Not, "disable the reset button".

May I suggest that you take time to read the subject line and the posters question before suggesting something that doesn't make any sense at all. This will only make it confusing for others, especially the original poster.

Thanks!

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

nh6we,

Like some of the others that posted correctly, there are a few choices. The reason I mentioned to disable the admin status as opposed to using the AP Groups is that when you move an AP to a different group, the AP needs to reboot. It really comes down to your cutover. I script a lot of things and I would run two wireless environments in parallel but have the new APs admin down. This way when my customer is ready to cutover, he brings down the old wireless and I paste the commands to admin up all the AP's. takes less than a minute to do 500. This way I also don't have to worry about AP's not coming up just in case. So that's why I do it that way.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card