Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Is there anyway for a Cisco 1602 or a 3602 to remember it's clock on reboot?

Hello!

We have a client that is using a 1602 as a WGB, and then using PEAP to connect to the infrastucture. As there are certificates in play, the clock of the AP becomes very important. Each time it reboots, it resets to the epoch date. We have tried to research this for some time, but really can't come up with anything. Here is what the config looks like when it comes to time settings:

---

clock timezone EDT -5 0

clock summer-time EDT recurring

clock save interval 8

---

As you can see, "clock save interval" is set to 8, no mater what we do, it resets to a March 1st, 1993 date. We have synced it up to an SNTP server, as you can see here:

---

AP01#show clock detail

16:12:25.795 EDT Thu Dec 12 2013

Time source is SNTP

Summer time starts 02:00:00 EDT Sun Mar 9 2014

Summer time ends 02:00:00 EDT Sun Nov 2 2014

---

so it *is* verified, but never gets written to NVRAM. This really creates an issue because the NTP server is ON the network we NEED to connect to! So if we can't connect, we can't get the clock.

Thank you,

Bill Bushong

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Is there anyway for a Cisco 1602 or a 3602 to remember it's cloc

Hmmmm ... There's one way I can think of. 

The problem is the remote site which reverts back to 01 March 1993 when reboot right? 

So the main question I'd like to ask is what is connected to the WGB AP at the remote side?  If you say you have a Cisco device (for example) make sure this remote device's NTP is synchronize to a time source.  Then make your remote end WGB synchronize (via SNTP) to this remote end device.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Is there anyway for a Cisco 1602 or a 3602 to remember it's

Come to think of it, router is better than switches because the router has a command to "save" the synch time every 8 hours (minimum). So even if the router lost power, it will be accurate (to a few seconds off).

I forgot the command but, I could be wrong, it could be "calendar update".

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hmmmm ... There's one way I can think of. 

The problem is the remote site which reverts back to 01 March 1993 when reboot right? 

So the main question I'd like to ask is what is connected to the WGB AP at the remote side?  If you say you have a Cisco device (for example) make sure this remote device's NTP is synchronize to a time source.  Then make your remote end WGB synchronize (via SNTP) to this remote end device.

Thank you for the response!

The scenario you describe May be the only way to deal with it... And it does work that way (it is a Linux box on the remote side), however, I was hoping for a more robust/reliable way of handling this as I can't always depend on what happens in that box. I don't have control of it, so therefor I have to assume that the date could be set wrong, the AP may be turned on before the Linux box turns on, etc. etc. it was hoping to make a self reliant bullet-proof solution without depending on something else. And that clock save interval command seems to be the solution... I'm just hoping I am missing something!!

Thank you again for your input!

Bill Bushong

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Exactly what machines/clients are located in the remote end? 

If it's only a Linux box and you don't have any control over it, then I wouldn't recommend it at all. 

Get a cheap 8-port switch, like a 2940, and configure this 2940 to synchronize to a valid NTP source.  Cisco machines tend to talk harmoniously with NTP/SNTP very well.

You can configure the WGB to have multiple NTP/SNTP source and the WGB is smart enough to determine which one has a valid time source to use.

We only have ONE host behind the WGB... we are actually using universal workgroup bridge mode as we need this setup to connect to one of any number of different types of wireless networks. So the only option in that case would be to get a router... but it's getting a bit messy now...

Thanks again!

Bill Bushong

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Router would be more expensive than an 8-port switch, don't you think?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Come to think of it, router is better than switches because the router has a command to "save" the synch time every 8 hours (minimum). So even if the router lost power, it will be accurate (to a few seconds off).

I forgot the command but, I could be wrong, it could be "calendar update".

Views
Helpful
Replies