Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

It´s possible to add Cisco AP´s managed by 3650 not directly connected?

Hi Everybody,

I´m going to setup a new Cisco 3650 in where I pretend to add 5 new AP´s, 4 of them are close to the MDF and they are going to be connected directly to the Cisco 3650 but the other one isn´t possible to be connected directly to the Cisco 3650. According the information published by Cisco, isn´t possible to add and manage Cisco LWAP Ap´s that aren´t connected directly to the Cisco 3650, can someone can confirm if it´s possible to add AP´s not directly connected to the Switch 3650 in order to be managed as LWAP AP´s?

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES
Community Member

Unfortunately, all will need

Unfortunately, all will need to be directly connected in this scenario.  

Community Member

Hi Adam, Do you know if it´s

Hi Adam,

Do you know if it´s possible this feature in the Switches 3850? Or the only option is to adquire small WLC?

Thanks for your answer.

Community Member

Same story with the 3850. You

Same story with the 3850. You'd have to go with at least a 2504 to do what you're looking for. 

Community Member

Adam, Thanks for your answer.

Adam,

Thanks for your answer. I was checking the Cisco documentation and accordint the specs, the 3850 are supporting CAPWAP:

Supports Cisco Converged Access mobility architecture with CAPWAP termination at the access

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/qa_c67-722110.html

Any comments about this? :) Thanks!

Community Member

Yes it does, but only if

Yes it does, but only if directly connected. Read down further and you will see the following:

Q.    Does the Cisco Catalyst 3850 support indirectly connected access points?
A.     No. The Cisco Catalyst 3850 switch will always terminate the CAPWAP tunnel locally. Pass-through mode or indirectly connected access point is not supported at this time. Note that a Cisco Catalyst 3850 12-port or 24-port SFP model can be a good choice to act as mobility controller for a stack of Cisco Catalyst 3850 switches that terminate CAPWAP tunnels locally.
Community Member

Excellent!  So it seems we

Excellent! 

So it seems we can connect a stack switch via Fiber and then connect the AP that is far of the MDF. :)

Thanks Adam! My best wishes.

Community Member

Correct :) No problem. 

Correct :) No problem. 

Community Member

Adam, Just a last question:

Adam,

Just a last question:

The longest distance I can have between a switch stack and another is the stack length that will have my stack cable? 

Or. why it was mentioned that a Fiber switch can be used as a mobile controller extending the use of WLC?

Thanks.

Community Member

You can separate them and

You can separate them and build a switch peer group. Set one as an MC and one as an MA. 

This should help:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/deployment_guide_c07-727067.html#_Toc350855374

Community Member

Excellent Adam!It is possible

Excellent Adam!

It is possible to do this with the 3650?

What I understand is that I can connect two switches: 

Switch A ========= Switch B

Through a fiber multimode link, configure Switch A as MC and Switch B as MA and I can connect AP´s in the Switch B. Is that correct?

Thanks friend for your time and support.

Community Member

Yes and add them to an SPG.  

Yes and add them to an SPG. 

Community Member

Thanks so much friend! :D I

Thanks so much friend! :D 

I really appreciate your support. Have a nice day!

Yes it is

Yes it is

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content