Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Join two WLC to broadcast each others SSIDs

Just putting this out there to the community in the hope that someone can point me in the right direction. I'm sure that this is possible but I can't find anything on it. I'm possibly using the incorrect terminology that won't help.

At a high level, I have two Cisco 5508s that sit in networks separated by a firewall for security reasons. They broadcast their own SSIDs that are specific to the user base on those networks as that was the original requirement.  So, WLC-01 offers SSIDs A, B and C and WLC-02 offers D, E and F

However, now we're asked to look at the idea of broadcasting SSIDs where there is no access to the network that the SSID is configured, ie. WLC-01 broadcasting SSID F and WLC-02 broadcasting SSID A.

That's probably a long winded explanation but wanted to make it clear what I was up to.

Is this even possible? If so, how am I best making this happen?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are two scenarios :

1. If you want to have just similar SSID's you can configure controllers with similar SSID as each other. In this context SSID A in WLC02 and SSID F in WLC01. With this your client will be able to see same SSID and probably same config (like security etc) and will be able to join when they enter coverage area of each respective WLC, but they will be re-authenticated and will end their previous session with other controller.

2. WLC01 and WLC02 are connected in a way, they know each others configuration - like registered AP's, SSID, Client data etc. When a client from SSID A goes where WLC 02 provides coverage, as both WLC know each other's config WLC 01 will pass on each detail about client and client roams seamlessly.

For Option 1 there is not much of config, except configuring same SSID on both controllers with similar settings.

For Option 2 where Controllers know details of each other, including WLAN (SSID), is known as Mobility.

To achieve this you should consider Mobility Groups. A Mobility Group is a group of Wireless LAN Controllers (WLCs) in a network with the same Mobility Group name. These WLCs can dynamically share context and state of client devices, WLC loading information, and can also forward data traffic among them, which enables inter-controller wireless LAN roaming and controller redundancy.

Check example of Inter-Controller Roaming :

For more details please check following documents :

Configuring Mobility Groups
Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) Mobility Groups FAQ

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them.**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card