Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

L2 LWAPP frame EtherType value

Hello,

I am very curious know what the LWAPP L2 frame type is - EthernetII or 802.3 (and if the latter, if the 802.2 header is standard or SNAP format).   I have searched for .pcap & dump files as well as images with no luck (have been able to find "non depreciated" L3 capture and images).  I don't have either work or personal lab access to the gear.  If anyone knows where to find a capture or imaging that would swell.

My interest was struck by the explanation from a cert testing vendor (ya, I know...).   One of the points touched upon (in the explanation) was that a L2 LWAPP frame has its ethertype value set to 0xbbbb.  I wanted to verify this, so I went to the ieee site and nothing was listed for that value, however,  0x88bb did reference Cisco.  RFC5412 also jives with 0x88bb (3.2.1 Framing).  Later, I did a double take on the traffic control white paper (ID:99947) and noticed Cisco states the ethertype value is 0xbbbb while at the same time the draft referenced (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ohara-capwap-lwapp-04) jives (of course) with the RFC.  Either I easily amused by type-o's or misunderstanding something.  So, is this going to be on the test?  Seriously though, if this is a fat finger, its seems to have taken hold as other testing vendors are appropriately parroting this value as well.  In fairness, the job of acme-fantastic-certinamicrosecond.diddly is to accurately reproduce to the exams, warts and all, I suppose.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Dave Cowley

Everyone's tags (1)
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content