cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

L2 WAN service with a wireless design

Hi,

I have a customer who has a layer2 WAN provider(branch networks have their FHR in remote datacenter). I'm tasked with implementing a new wireless solution for around 1000 AP's and 8000 clients. Just wondering what the best option is in terms of each branch has a different vlan which makes the operation of the wireless network with prime abit complicated. Does anyone know if FlexConnect Groups would simplify this installation for me?

Regards

Tyrone

Everyone's tags (1)
7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

I've got >90 sites and each

I've got >90 sites and each sites have their own VLANs.  They work well if your routing is done right.  

FlexConnect or not will depend entirely on your network WAN capacity.  FlexConnect will work if you have a dedicated authentication server at each site.  

You'll need to provide more information.

Community Member

As I mentioned before every

As I mentioned before every site has a unique native vlan and 2 other unique vlans which are sitting in 2 vrf's which terminate in their central datacenter on 2 6509's (layer2 WAN).

Flexconnect is the design chosen with local switching. 

The problem I see will be the tedious work of setting up all the AP's and mapping the vlan to their sites... 

Is there an easier solution or just suck it up?

T

Hall of Fame Super Blue

I'm not trying to be rude,

I'm not trying to be rude, but you'll need to "suck it up, princess".  

Like I said, I have >90 sites and each site has it's own set of VLANs (12 per site).  Try configuring dynamic VLANs and you'll be forever doing that for weeks.  The fastest way to achieve this is to use CLI. To "generate" the command, stick your IP subnet and VLAN information in an Excel spreadsheet to generate a script.  

Again, what's your WAN speed like (lowest speed)?

Community Member

Hahahaha I was afraid you

Hahahaha I was afraid you might say that!! Lowest bandwidth site is around 30mbps most are on 100.

Are you running 12 different SSID's at your sites?

Hall of Fame Super Blue

30 Mbps????  And you want to

30 Mbps????  And you want to run FlexConnect???  What a waste.  

With that kind of WAN speed, I'd link them direct.  

I've got about 10 sites on 2 Mbps links and I don't run FlexConnect.  

Yes, >90 sites with 12 VLANs per site.

Community Member

Well they after features that

Well they after features that are only available on FC at the mo ie. AVC,webauth etc.

Hall of Fame Super Blue

I'm going to talk about your

I'm going to talk about your 30 Mbps link because it is the smallest. 

You want AVC?  You want Web Auth?  Local mode AP can do whatever FlexConnect can and MORE.  

30 Mbps link is a link everyone envies.  You can link your APs directly to your WLC in a centralized location via your 30 Mbps link.  

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content