Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN Switch port configuration for LAPs?

Sorry for the newbie question.

I have some lightweighted APs (LAPs) connect to a Cisco 3750X LAN switch.

These LAPs will support wireless client in different VLANs, say VLAN 401 and 402.

I have the following questions regarding 3750-A switch in the drawing:

1) Do I need to configure the switch port (that connects to LAP) as trunk port?  Or I should just configure it as access port?

2) If the LAPs are the only devices connect to the LAN switch, do I even need to create the VLANs on that switch?

Thank you very much!

LWAPP.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If the AP are going to be in Local Mode, WLC as the ingress/egress point, then the ports should be access ports, and you wouldn't need to create the client VLANs on the switches.

If you are going to do FlexConnect, then they would need to be trunk ports, and you would need to create the VLANs.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
5 REPLIES

If the AP are going to be in Local Mode, WLC as the ingress/egress point, then the ports should be access ports, and you wouldn't need to create the client VLANs on the switches.

If you are going to do FlexConnect, then they would need to be trunk ports, and you would need to create the VLANs.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks Steven.  So the LAP can understand 802.1q trunking?  Where I  can find the document regarding the LAP VLAN provisioning process?

I meant, when LAP first boots up, it only knows about  the native VLAN.  Then it connects to WLC and "download" the  configuration.  At that point LAP knows about the different VLANs.   Would it start tagging packets with different VLAN tags at that point  going forward?

Thanks!

In local mode, the AP doesn't know anything about dot1q trunking. It tunnels all the traffic back to the WLC.

In FlexConnect, you configure the WLAN to VLAN mapping on a per AP basis.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-2/configuration/guide/cg/cg_flexconnect.html

HTH,
Steve

VIP Purple

HI Michael,

1. You need to put AP in access mode.

example:

int fa0/5

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan <>

no shut

2. Just need to add vlan in vlan database of each switch.

Regards

VIP Purple

Example:

put WLC and AP in management vlan 400.

Create vlan 400 on core swicth assign IP.

Assign management interface ip on wlc in vlan 400 and configure APs in vlan 400, dont forget to create a dhcp pool on core swicth for APs to get IP over DHCP.

regards

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content