Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

LAP 1242AG Can't use as a repeater

i bought 2 aironet LAP 1242AG AP's. first i didn't know i had to have a cisco controller to configure/use these. so i flashed the OS to ISO the newest one. so now i can go to the GUI and configure.

this is that i need these 2 AP's to do. there for a client who wants wireless in 2 pool areas. so i purchased these cause they have good range.

they have a linksys wrt 160N router now. i am trying to use the LAP 1242 AP to get a signal off the linksys router to repeat it. i read some non-cisco router can't do this. so i don't know if i am setting this AP up correctly or just the linksys can't do this.

so if anyone could shed some light on this would be great. if the linksys router can't do what i want it to do, can someone reccommend a router that can.

so 1 linksys wrt160 will be for one of these cisco AP's and and another linksys wrt160 will be in bridge mode at another building and i need this one to give wilreless to the cisco AP.  now i can't run a network cable to either locacation of where the AP's are gonna be. so they need to pick up the signal wireless.

thanks in advance for the help.

Joey

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: LAP 1242AG Can't use as a repeater

Communication between Cisco APs is done by IAPP protocol (Inter AccessPoint Protocol) Linksys does not support or use IAPP.. so comunicatig Cisco 1242 wit hLinksys in impossibel..

If you could buy another AP 1242, then we can accomplish this..

Lemme know how this answered your question!!

Regards

Surendra

Community Member

Thanks for the quick response. You must be sitting there getting your brain picked all day with all of these questions. 

i have 2 of these 1242AG AP's. i need 2 of them for the 2 pools. so right now i can use the 2nd to test this out. can i use a cisco router for the LAPP protocal? or do i have to buy another 1242AG AP?

is there any documentation that can show me how to do this?

Cisco Employee

Ha ha

I am in my house!! not feeling sleepy and its mid night here and waiting for questions to answer

Ok lemme come back.. I guess Router doesnt support IAPP.. so just buy another AP.. replace your Linksys with 1242..

Site A ---------------------------- Site b

1242 as Root                    1242 as Non root with wireless clients

|

|

|

|

Sire C

1242 as Non-Root with wireless clients

Assuming we have the Line of Site between the sites..

By this setup i guess all your clients will get the wireless signal and then they can connect,

lemme know if i am visualizing your issue correctly..

Regards

Surendra

Community Member

midnight..  wow..  ur prolly half way around the world..  FL USA here..

ok so let me understand that a cisco router does not support LAPP correct.

site 1 is where the server is and the router.

site 2 there is nothing but a PC in the lobby. i was gonna put a linksys wrt in wireless bridge mode (connected to the network) here so it can feed the 1242 AP for the pool.

these 2 buildings and pools aren't that close to where the AP at site 1's pool can reach site 2's pool. or does site 2's pool AP need to reach the 1st root AP that is near the server?

how long is the distance these's AP's can reach on the G wireless? i read 800 feet. is that correct?

Cisco Employee

yes.. i am in India Thats rite!! we need to have the reachability between all.. there are other kinda products which covers more distance (Kile metres).. 1310 bridges.. these are the devices which are best for this situations..

Regards

Surendra

Cisco Employee

or even u can use it as ..

1242 AP mode ---------------------- 1242 Repeater

-

-

-

-

1242 Repeater

Lemme know how this answered your question!!

Regards
Surendra

Community Member

so the first 1242 AP mode HAS to reach both pools if there are a 1242AP in repeater mode. if not i have to buy 2 more 1242's?

this project is on a budget. so 1 or 2 more will be way over it. so no cisco router?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content