Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

LAP cannot discover WLC after static IP set

I have an 1131 LAP that I originally configured with DHCP and it found the WLC fine. Then I forced the LAP to a static address from the WLC manager. Upon rebooting the LAP it could not find the WLC since it no longer uses DHCP and for some reason it did not retain the WLC IP address in its config. (WLC is on remote subnet and I see LAP sending broadcast to local subnet only in sniffer) 1) How can I reset the LAP to use DHCP - is there a reset button on it? 2) is there some way to have a LAP falback to DHCP discover if the IP is set static?

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: LAP cannot discover WLC after static IP set

Hi Armonk,

Have you tried this method?

Clearing Manually Entered Controller Information

When you move your access point to a different location in your network, you must clear the manually entered controller information to allow your access point to associate with a different controller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note This command requires the controller configured Enable password to enter the CLI EXEC mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To clear or remove the manually entered controller information, you can use these EXEC mode CLI commands:

clear lwapp ap ip address

clear lwapp ip default-gateway

clear lwapp controller ip address

clear lwapp ap hostname

Manually Resetting the Access Point to Defaults

You can manually reset your access point to default settings using this EXEC mode CLI command:

Note This command requires the controller configured Enable password to enter the CLI EXEC mode.

clear lwapp private-config

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a0080799c1e.html#wp1061775

Hope this helps!

Rob

Re: LAP cannot discover WLC after static IP set

You have a few options to get the AP joined.

1.) Console directly into the AP (The default password is 'Cisco'.) and manually configure a WLC address:

lwapp controller ip

2.) Create a DNS entry for CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER.localdomain on your DNS server. Part of the LWAPP Discovery process is to try to resolve this name.

3.) Clear out the manually entered info with the following console commands:

clear lwapp ap ip address

clear ip default-gateway

I hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content