Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

LAP not upping power on Prime Heat Maps

These are 1142 LAP in a hall of residence.

After adding the floor plans, coverage areas, obstacles  and LAP to the Prime heat map, I fully expected the power of the LAP to increase to cover the, err, Coverage Area that I had defined. But no.

Ancaster3rdFloor.JPG

How do I get the LAP to increase their power output to cover the defined Coverage Area?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Mal.

Everyone's tags (2)
7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

The output in Prime is not the true coverage, but a predictive.  RRM works when there is 3 access points at least.  The WLC uses RRM to determine the tx power and channel.  Here is a reference guide explaining RRM.  What you see in the heat map in Prime, might not be accurate as its predictive:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008072c759.shtml#bev

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Here is a doc that states 3 AP's

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_qanda_item09186a008064a991.shtml

Q. I have set the Radio Resource Management (RRM) to the default settings on my WLC. However, I cannot find my RRM to automatically adjust the channel and power levels. Why?

A. RRM possibly does not work for any of these reasons

• The RRM works only if an AP hears RF signals from at least 3 nearby APs, with a third neighbor that transmits a signal strength greater than -65dbm. If any of these condition fails, the RRM does not work.
  • The auto RRM feature includes channel adjustment, power adjustment, and coverage hole detection. These features do not work if they are either disabled or the method of assignment is chosen as manual.

While a fresh AP boots up, it initially keeps power at the default value of 1 (highest). When it sees 3 or more APs with power levels greater than -65 dBm (in the same RF-Mobility-Domain and same channel), it attempts RRM first (change channels). If not successful because the channels are manually fixed or there are more APs than channels available, the AP drops its power level.

Refer to Radio Resource Management: Concepts for more information on how RRM works.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thank you. I can see that my problem may be to do with the Coverage Hole Detection not working as desired.

I'm having problems where clients signal levels are unusable, so I've been manually increasing the power output of the LAP to compensate. Clearly the Coverage Hole Detection isn't working as it should. I was hoping that the Prime Heat Maps might save me the hassle of manually upping power.  More studies needed.

Thank you to all contributors!

Mal.

You have hallway placements, so coverage in that room B306 & B308 of course can be an issue, just by looking at it.  If you bump the power up on the AP through the WLC or PI, then your at max and there isn't anything else you can do.  Hallway placements are not preferred these days and were something that was implemented a lot in the past.  If you look at RRM, the hallway placements make RRM lower TX power because AP's have clear line of sight.  Coverage Hold Detection can adjust that, but then its a back and fourth adjustment.  You need to utilize AP's inside the rooms if possible or else you just going to add more ap's in the hallway and you will have to set the TX power to manual to get the best coverage in the room furthest away from the AP's.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Thank you for your help Scott Fella.

I'll just have to set the LAP manually to power level 1. There's only about 1000-odd....

I can't see any way to create a AP group that has the  the power  level set manually - that way I could just move them into a new AP group.

Mal.

You can use RF Profiles if You using a WLC that supports that.  I believe v7.4....  You can set your max to 20dbm and your min to 20dbm and that will set the TX power to max.  You abble the RF Profile to the AP Group.

2-12-2014 10-14-34 AM.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Please go through the link below for more information for conversation

http://omgili.com/thread/.wHSUbtEfZS6sY9oec8tRj1DNafRV3e2EmgIsn2U7n.0aLwe7IPHyRPG9zav2FExlXjTcbEWxNo-/

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content