cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAP registration with ap-manager interface only

mirek.tichy_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, is it possible to register an APs with no visibility of the management interface? The WLC would have a separate ap-manager interface but in a different vfr then management interface. APs can see the ap-manager interface one but not the management one.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, the initial discovery request is sent to the management interface. Also with the gen2 WLC the management and ap-manager interface is the same. The only reason to split or add a new ap-manager is if you are over 48 AP and are not using LAG.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

AP- manager interface comes in picture after the access points have joined the controller!! It is for all layer 3 communication, I agree with Stephen!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, the initial discovery request is sent to the management interface. Also with the gen2 WLC the management and ap-manager interface is the same. The only reason to split or add a new ap-manager is if you are over 48 AP and are not using LAG.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Many thanks I now the basis. The document is dated five years ago and describes the 4.0 SW. My question was if there is any trick or possibility to arrange it under present HW & SW. Simply isolate management service and AP connection service on the WLC. But as I am looking for the solution it looks impossible.

I don't mind to use for example service port for the isolated management. But i heared the service port has restrictions under HA design.

I don't mind to use for example service port for the isolated management. But i heared the service port has restrictions under HA design.

Exactly what firmware or model of WLC are you using? 

You can't use ther Service Port for production.  This port is primarily used for Out-of-Band-Management and for HA SSO.

The document is dated five years ago and describes the 4.0 SW. My question was if there is any trick or possibility to arrange it under present HW & SW.

The document may be five years old, but when you are dealing with WLC 4400, WiSM or 2000/2100 then it's still valid.  The APs talk to the controller using the AP-manager interface.  This is the main reason why AP-manager interface and management interface IP addresses is recommended to be in the same subnet.  It will work if either one is on a different subnet but you'll need to do some routing work done.

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

AP- manager interface comes in picture after the access points have joined the controller!! It is for all layer 3 communication, I agree with Stephen!

mirek.tichy_2
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks to everybody.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card