cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAP1142N-A-K9

lynn77581
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to this, so please have patience.

I purchased an LAP1142N and can't seem to get the Configure Terminal command to work after I enter the "enable" command. I get the "Invalid input detected at '^' marker" error message. 

I did notice that when I type ? for a list of command that I do not see config as one of them.  Also, I would like to change the name of the AP but "hostname" is not an option either.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, BLUE mean a active association of a client (may not be authenticated, ie before you enter password as well LED changed color to Blue)

GREEN mean it is in normal operation with no client associated.

table 1 of this link provide all LED color indicators & their meaning.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/1140/quick/guide/ap1140gsg.html

Thanks for using rating system as well. Once you get everything working you can mark the thread as answered.

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Welcome to the CSC forum :)

This access point require a wireless controller to operate. That's why it does not accept those commands on the console CLI.

Having said that, if you want to use it as standalone access point you have to convert it to autonomous mode. To do that you require proper image (something like c1140-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA.tar) which you should get from Cisco if you purchased through them. If it is via a partner then you need to ask from them (not freely downloadable)

Once you get the required image you can use one of this method to convert your lightweight AP to standalone mode

1. http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

2. http://mrncciew.com/2012/10/20/lightweight-to-autonomous-conversion/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Thanks for the reply. I picked this up at a swap meet and don't have a Cisco account rep or contact. 

If I was able to purchase the image from Cisco would it be possible to flash the AP without a controller?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Yes, if you have the image you can upload it without a controller. You can use one of the method described in my previous response.

HTH

Rasika

Your page is excellent!!  I found the correct TFTP software, was able to locate the correct firmware for an 1142, turned it into an AP and managed to assign it an IP address. I did most of this from reading your webpage. *BIT THUMBS UP*

Here are a couple of items I'm stuck on currently.

1. I have provided the correct SSID but need to enter the correct network password.  I tried it through the CLI and then tried searching for it on the web client interface.  I've had no luck.

2. The 5ghz channel is down and even when I 'enable' it through the web client it still shows the current status as disabled.

Any ideas?

I am glad you get the autonomous image loaded. :)

Here is what you have to do to get a basic SSID working on both 2.4GHz & 5GHz.

1. Erase the configuration of your Autonomous AP & Reload to comeup with zero ocnfig

AP#erase startup-config

Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]

[OK]

Erase of nvram: complete

AP#reload

System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: no

Proceed with reload? [confirm]

2. Then do the following configuration with modified SSID name & preshared-key as you required. (Keyword highlighted to be modifiy as you need)

hostname <AP_HOSTNAME>

!

dot11 ssid <SSID_NAME>

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa version 2

guest-mode

wpa-psk ascii <SSID_PASSWORD>

!

interface Dot11Radio0

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm

ssid <SSID_NAME>

no shutdown

!

interface Dot11Radio1

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm

ssid <SSID_NAME>

no shutdown

!

interface BVI1

ip address dhcp

Let me know if this does not work

HTH

Rasika

So far it looks good.  All the commands went in just fine and 5ghz is up and running. I can also see the reserved DHCP address in my network map and ping the AP.

Now I have to pull some CAT5E cable and connect the 1142AP to a POE switch to see how it really works.

EDIT:  To save this config I type... "copy running-config startup-config" ?

Great...

Makesure when you connect it to a POE switch, that switch port is configured for the vlan  (access port) which gives DHCP IP for the clients & AP itself. 

If you want to put AP on to a management vlan & users onto a different vlan then you have to modify AP & switchport configuration. Hopefully you want a simple setup like what you have now on your AP.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

This is for home use. I am trying to extend the range of my network while providing a fast / stable connection.  So, VLANS and such are not needed. I will probably pick a small 8 port poe switch.

Also, to save this config I type... "copy running-config startup-config" ?

Ok, then config you have is perfect. You can add this line as well to give better throughput (802.11n data rates for 5GHz clients)

int d1

channel width 40-above

Yes, you can save using that command. (else you can use simply "wr" for shorten formant of "write memory" command)

HTH

Rasika

Ohhhh very nice!  All of my client are 802.11n.

I think this is my final question (until I pull cable to the AP)...  The LED light seems to change from Green to Blue.  I tried to research what the different colors mean, but came up empty.  Currently as I type this the LED is Blue.

I am assuming the blue means there is a client connect to it and the green means there is nobody connected?

Yes, BLUE mean a active association of a client (may not be authenticated, ie before you enter password as well LED changed color to Blue)

GREEN mean it is in normal operation with no client associated.

table 1 of this link provide all LED color indicators & their meaning.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/1140/quick/guide/ap1140gsg.html

Thanks for using rating system as well. Once you get everything working you can mark the thread as answered.

HTH

Rasika

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This Guide explains how to install and configure your Cisco Aironet 1140 Series Autonomous Access Point. This guide also provides mounting instructions and limited troubleshooting procedures.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/1140/autonomous/getting_started/guide/ap1140aut_getstart.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: