Helpful
Replies

Laptops can`t ping each other on the same SSID

Liad Dayan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Iam having issue with Wireless Lan.

For some reason my Laptops in the same SSID can`t ping each other.

But they can ping default gateway->can go to the internet.

Somone know what is the problem?

Regards,

14 Replies 14

Edwin Summers
Level 3
Level 3

There could be any number of several factors at play here, from the wireless access point configured to not allow inter-device communications, to Windows Firewall (Linux iptables, etc.) blocking ICMP.  The latter can be easily verified with a back-to-back connection between the laptops (using a cross-over cable).

Can you provide some additional details regarding the equipment and software in use?

Best,

Ed

Do you have peer to peer blocking enabled? Is this autonomous or lightweight?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks for the fast replay guys.

Scott- No we dont have peer-to -peer blocking.

Edwin-how i can check the inter device communication?

because when i connect the same pc`s to the wired network, they can ping each other.

when they go to the wireless network.-> they cant..

Regards.

Liad,

I'd check to see if the windows firewall is enabled on the wireless interface.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Stephen,

How do i check it?

I can see that windows firewall is enabled, but allowing ICMP traffic.

I put allow any just to try, and still didnt work.

Regards,

It sounds odd, but instead of allowing can you disable the windows firewall on the wireless interface?

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What device are you using as your wireless access point?

Variance .

1131AG

1042-mostly

So when you have two users on the same AP, the devices can't ping each other.  Or is it an issue when they are on different AP's?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Same and differnet.

Can`t the system team put those elements on the GPO.

Are you sure it`s the firewall?

Maybe it somthing wrong with the access points? maybe i need to allow some inter-connectivity between them?

Regards,

Nope, not 100% sure it's the firewall.  But I have seen it cause issues.  Generally as far as the WLC is concerned, if you have peer-to-peer blocking disabled it's not going to mess with the traffic.

Oh, one last thing, take a look at the WLC interface and see if an ACL has been applied there.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

Be sure Public Secure Packet Forwarding is DISABLED for the Radio Interface in play

I had the same problem as Lian Dayan, but when I tried Steve 's solution of disabling peer-to-peer blocking on the SSID on my lightweight access points  it started to ping the devices on the same wifi (SSID) connection.

Thank Steve for your solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: