Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing when upgrading WLC from 7.0 to 7.4

Hi,

We have 2 controllers configured in Mobility Group with each controller having license of 350 APs each and running 7.0 software version.

We are planning to upgrade the controllers to 7.4 software version. We want to transfer 350 AP license of one controller to another one to make its capacity of 700 APs and install HA license on controller from where AP license is transfered.

Is it possible to transfer license like this and use second controller as HA without any AP license? When main controller fails, can HA controller support all the APs only with HA license and what type of licenses are required on each controller except 700 AP license on one of the controller?

8 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Licensing when upgrading WLC from 7.0 to 7.4

Only adder license can be transferred and also the 5508 supports up to 500. So you need to check the capacity of the WLC model you have and if the license were base or adder.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

We have base license installed with capacity of 350 APs. How should I proceed if I want to use my controllers in HA?

If I cant transfer license from one controller to another, what will happen to my existing base license after I add HA license to it?

We are looking to trasnfer license to save licensing cost and make another controller as HA else we have to increase our licenses on both the controllers which we want to avoid.

Take a look at your PO or your license in the WLC.  Your base can only be 25, 50, 100, 250 or 500.  You might have a base of 250 and an adder of 100.

Anyways, you can't transfer your base, only adders.  If you have two WLC's and you want to use AP SSO or N+1, one WLC needs the license and the other WLC only needs a 50 license minimum.  So if for example your WLC has a 250 base and a 100 adder, well you only have 100 you can rehost to the other WLC.  There is no HA license only an HA sku WLC.  What you may want to do is keep what you have and look at purchasing a 5508 HA SKU and use this 5508 HA in N+1 to backup your other two WLC's that has 350.

Take a look at this N+1 guide as it explains how you can use a licensed WLC in HA or how an HA SKU WLC can be deployed in an existing environment.

You will not be able to transfer base license, so you might still have to purchase an adder if you want the full capacity of 500 AP's (5508)

250 = base

100 = adder from other WLC hopefully

100 = buy

50 = buy

This depends again on your licensing in which you need to look at on the WLC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_HA_Overview.html

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Hi,

How to find base and added licenses in WLC? I only see base-ap-count license for all WLCs having 350 and 100 licenses.

How can I determine how many licenses can be rehosted from one controller to another?

Regards

Nishchay Nadkarni

Take a look at your base-ap-count... you will have one or more that shows permanent  The inactive one is your origina:

2-3-2014 10-03-53 AM.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Hi,

Can same controller act as secondary controller for multiple primary controllers having different configurations in terms of authetication servers for users, vlan mapping, authentication methods, AP mode, AP group etc?

Regards

Nishchay Nadkarni

Can same controller act as secondary controller for multiple primary controllers having different configurations in terms of authetication servers for users
> yes

vlan mapping
> yes

authentication methods
> yes

AP mode
> no

AP group etc
> no

I mentioned yes to some of your questions because the secondary can be different, but you have to look at what happens during a failure. Vlan mapping means users have to request a new DHCP and any static address devices will fail. Any configuration in the AP itself can't be changed by the WLC during a failover. Redundancy is best when the WLC is located at the same location as the primary. You
Can have it at a different location, but you need to understand what the changes are.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Silver

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content