Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Limitation of Linksys Wireless Routers

Hi all,

I've noticed that typical "Residential" class Linksys routers (and I presume other manufactures as well) seem to have difficulty supporting more than one simultaneous VPN connection. I'm referring to the scenario where two machines sit behind a linksys router and try to run software based VPN clients to a remote VPN concentrator. The linksys appears to be able to support only one at a time and if host A tries to establish a VPN connection it kicks off host B's VPN connection if it's already in progress.

My question is... Do the Cisco Aironet Wireless access point have this limitation?

I am aware that you can configure PPTP tunneling from the client linksys to the site VPN concentrator and run traffic through it and I suppose in theory this could support multiple connections from client to site but we would prefer to just use the VPN client software on the host without having to keep a tunnel open.

Appreciate any advice in this regard.

Cheers - Peter

2 REPLIES

Re: Limitation of Linksys Wireless Routers

It's not the problem of the router but the nature of VPN - you can't have two IP based VPN connections behind the same IP (with NAT)

Kate (http://www.cguy.net/)

Views
Helpful
Replies