Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Lining up Yagi wireless airiels (best practice)

Hello everyone,

Over the past few months, I have installed several WLAN's using Cisco YAGI antennas. They seem to be a nice piece of kit to work with. Although, because they are fairly directional. Most of my install time is spent lining them up correctly...

I can't help thinking there must be something better than two guys on the end of a ladder with 2-way radios!? left a bit!, right a bit!, down!!! :)

How do the rest of you do it? Are there any special tools for the job?. Maybe a laser alignment tool of some kind..

I know that you can measure the signal strength in ios by using debug commands. But it's all a bit too late by the time your at the bottom of the ladder!.

I look forward to your responses.

Kind Regards & Thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Green

Re: Lining up Yagi wireless airiels (best practice)

This is where a GPS and good compass can be your best friends.

Go to site A, take a snapshot of that location (save the location). Then go to site B, and tell the GPS that you want to "goto" site A .... it'll give you a bearing (some will give you an arrow pointer).

Set the site B antenna to that bearing. Most GPS can also give you a decent altitude reading to help with "elevation adjustments.

Take a reading / snapshot of the site B location.

Go back to Site A and set that antenna to the Site B bearing (and possibly elevation).

Use the RSSI indications to tune 'em in as necessary / if necessary.

I know some folks that put a rifle scope on the boom of the yagi and aim for a strobe attached to the other antenna.

Whatever works ...

FWIW

Scott

1 REPLY
Green

Re: Lining up Yagi wireless airiels (best practice)

This is where a GPS and good compass can be your best friends.

Go to site A, take a snapshot of that location (save the location). Then go to site B, and tell the GPS that you want to "goto" site A .... it'll give you a bearing (some will give you an arrow pointer).

Set the site B antenna to that bearing. Most GPS can also give you a decent altitude reading to help with "elevation adjustments.

Take a reading / snapshot of the site B location.

Go back to Site A and set that antenna to the Site B bearing (and possibly elevation).

Use the RSSI indications to tune 'em in as necessary / if necessary.

I know some folks that put a rifle scope on the boom of the yagi and aim for a strobe attached to the other antenna.

Whatever works ...

FWIW

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content