Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Linksys problem

I bought a Linksys router and hooked it up. I only get 2 or 3 bars on my computer screen and often get a message that I only have limited or no internet service. A few minutes later I have service again for a short while. I bought a N300 Wireless-N Range Extender and installed it. However, it would only connect to jimtuten guest that requires a password. The main location of jimtuten does not require a password. I don’t recall ever setting up a password for guest. I only use one password for my access to everything, so when I tried that password it said it was incorrect.  I am pretty much at wits end.

How can I get the booster to connect to the jimtuten and not jimtuten guest? Also, is there any way to find out the password that Linksys is looking for, or can I change the password in jimtuten guest?

Jim Tuten

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Hello jimtuten2,I do not know

Hello jimtuten2,

I do not know why you purchase the Extender normally its not needed when you are using indoor router ,the coverage is good. Well few things you must check before making your move towards the booster .

1- Check the channels being used in your areas mostly there is a conflict thats why short bars and disconnection occurs .Use "NetStumbler" to check the channels and all SSID in your area.

2- Use only the LinkSys router with no Security mean open security and different channel from the Configuration page after seeing the channels in step one.

4- Use different Subnet range means not the default i.e [192.168.5.x] with DHCP Excluding the router Management ip.

3- Now set new the router and use your Computer/Laptop and connect to the SSID you just mentioned in the configuration.

4- After connection check how long your connection sustain and move far ,normally you should not have any issue after doing these steps.

5- Now mention WEP/WPA password in router and connect again and enjoy as the problem should not persist.

Note: If you want to use the booster then try to disable the security and other options there and try to use the security and other options as mentioned in the Linksys router. Use booster only as a connection point for the linksys router.

Hope this will help.

Views
Helpful
Replies