Views
Helpful
Replies

listing client name on Cisco WLC 5508

MICHAEL TJANDRA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Anybody know how to do a listing wifi clients connected to all the WAPs on the wireless controller.

I tried

show client summary

and then show client detail [mac-address]

but that requires lots of work for all clients, anyone know how to do the listing in one go for client's username and which SSID they connected to?

Many thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Unfortunately that can not be done direclty from the controller.

You need a management system to do that. (for example, Cisco prime infrastructure)

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

robinwenham
Level 1
Level 1

As a quick-and-dirty workaround, you could use a spreadsheet like Excel.  Take the results of the "show client summary" listing, paste it into Excel, one per line, then use the built-in functions to generate the "show client detail <mac-address>" command line.

Paste this into the telnet window, again capture the output and then parse it again in Excel.

If you did this is would be useful to have file capture turned on on your telnet client (e.g. PuTTy).

I use this to generate lists of commands to make changes to access points (soooo much easier than doing each one-by-one on the CLI).

Like I said, quick and dirty if you have no other method.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Unfortunately that can not be done direclty from the controller.

You need a management system to do that. (for example, Cisco prime infrastructure)

Regards,

Amjad

This really answered my question and it is working now.

Many thanks Amjad.

Thank you for the rating. I am glad that your question is answered.

robinwenham
Level 1
Level 1

As a quick-and-dirty workaround, you could use a spreadsheet like Excel.  Take the results of the "show client summary" listing, paste it into Excel, one per line, then use the built-in functions to generate the "show client detail <mac-address>" command line.

Paste this into the telnet window, again capture the output and then parse it again in Excel.

If you did this is would be useful to have file capture turned on on your telnet client (e.g. PuTTy).

I use this to generate lists of commands to make changes to access points (soooo much easier than doing each one-by-one on the CLI).

Like I said, quick and dirty if you have no other method.

Thanks Robin,  Indeed I did that as well.. And we also happened to have Cisco Prime as well. works much faster there.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card