cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Local net users - usernames case sensitive

akisbouza
Level 1
Level 1

I am facing an annoying issue with our WLC's 5508.We have configured some local accounts - local net users and we found out that usernames are case sensitive.For example when i setup an account with username:TEST and the then try to login with username:test  i get authentication failure..

I thought that only the admin accounts were case sensitive.

Has anyone else faced this problem?Is there any solution for this as i have already configured 60 local accounts.

Thank you in advance.

7 Replies 7

nikhilcherian
Level 5
Level 5

we found out that usernames are case sensitive.:- was the creation successfull

try to login with --where are trying to login, to the device or in the network

Thanks

NikhiL

The users are trying to get access to our WiFi guest network with these accounts.

was the creation successfull?

What do you mean NikhiL?

Thanks

Jut wanted to know if you could create the users successfully, The case sensitve issue will be due to the password policy enabled, you can disable it ( but it is not advisable)

Can you paste the output of

"(Cisco Controller) >show aaa auth " from you WLC

Make sure the option local is selected here

Thanks

NikhiL

Yes i was able to create the users successfully.

There is no option in the password policy to change the case sensitivity in usernames

(Cisco Controller) >show aaa auth

Management authentication server order:
    1............................................ local
    2............................................ radius

Thanks

Can you please paste the "debug client mac"

Thanks

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well, I discovered this bug just today when one of the managers wanted to login with a username (web auth) and he could not find that we sent him the username in capital letters and when we tested we found it does not work unless the username in small letters!!!

I did not get to any doc saying this is the case (and even if it is the case it should not be because usernames should always be non-casesensitive for felexibility.

Is there any openned bug on this? I am too lazy to search in bug toolkit after a full-of-madness work day. but I am already on the latest 7.0 code (7.0.235.3).

Anyone experience this issue? or should I open a TAC case?

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

#Management Usernames are case sensitive.

#Local net user seem to be case sensitive per below bug, however it is a old one on 4.0.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsg72444

*for local netuser, Does WLC allows to create same usernames like this - Apple, APPLE, AppLe. If allowed then at this point its considered that wlc allows to create case insensitive users for local netusers. Else if only Apple is allowed then it is case sensitive for user creation.

*Now try to login like - apple, aPPLE and also like Apple, APPLE, AppLe.

*Share the result along with the tested wlc code for conclusion. Let see what works and doesn't.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card