Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

locate wireless client by IP address ?

Is there a easier way to locate a wireless client by ip addrss in a WISM controller or even via WCS ?

I now go to the home page of my controller and go to the client section and filter by mac address , AP names, etc. once I find that, I  drill in and I can find the IP address listed then, but what if I have a wireless client IP only ? I'm running version 5.2.193.0 on the WISM controller.  My WCS is a level 6.x.

I trying to locate a wireless client which I believe is sending spam but unless I go into every profile connection, how can I locate this client ?

Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: locate wireless client by IP address ?

Hmmmm ... I think I may have dug a hole for myself.

Is the target client successfully authenticated to your SSID?

If he is, go to Monitor > Client (located on the lower left-hand corner).  Identify the client's MAC address and on the right hands, notice there's a drop down menu?  Choose Disable.

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Triangulate using the signal strength.  If you have three or more, you can get his exact location.

You can also ban the guy using the "contain" option or the ACL option.  Lots of options to choose from!

Thanks for the quick response.

The first option sounds like I need some  type of wireless software which at the moment I'm not utilizing so don't know how to do that.

option 2 also sounds foreign to me ! ;-)

Can you add some details or point me to any links you can ref me to so I can try to familiarize myself with these options ?

Regards

Mark

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hmmmm ... I think I may have dug a hole for myself.

Is the target client successfully authenticated to your SSID?

If he is, go to Monitor > Client (located on the lower left-hand corner).  Identify the client's MAC address and on the right hands, notice there's a drop down menu?  Choose Disable.

yes, the client is authenticated. but that's my problem..  I have an IP address and not a mac addresss yet... But as I'm typing this. my brain is unlocking itself now.. I will just ping , get the arp on my switch. Go to the client page and filter by mac address.. disable the sucker that way...

thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies