Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for a solution to a 50 meter problem

Ultimately my issue comes down to wanting to connect a small security building to the rest of my network. The building is roughly 50 meters from my main facility. There are no building or anything in my way so there is nothing I can run a cable along to hide it. I do not want to run a cable underground to my facility because it is too costly.

What I'm really looking for is something like an encrypted point to point signal sender/receiver. The devices I am trying to connect to my internal network are wired only devices. So I would like to find something that sends a radio signal (any type) and allows for a switch to be connected on the other end. This should integrate into my current Cisco network.

WiFi could work, my only problem is others trying to spoof into my network so I would prefer a different radio type.

Anybody know any devices that would fit this description?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

WiFi bridge properly designed with strong encryption will be well secured.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

WiFi bridge properly designed with strong encryption will be well secured.

I've got to agree with Vlad. Keep your encryption strong and look into directional antenna (instead of the default omnidirectional ones).

I have a few extra consumer class routers laying around I will test out the bridge to see how well this works. Thanks for the quick reply vlad.

I'll come back and let you guys know if it works. If it does I'll mark the topic as complete. Thanks

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hardware does not come up with some securiy but yes you can connect any radio and can encrypt the signal with high security..like radius or WPA2..

So i set up 2 residential grade routers to test this out. Seems to be working okayish. I believe with directional antenae routers I should achieve what I need.

As for security I configured each device separately. I set them so only allow the MAC address of the other through wireless. This seems to be the best system for me. Once they are connected even if a MAC is spoofed of the other router it drops automatically because they are always connected. My wired devices get plugged in and recieve an IP from my main network.

There more testing to be done, but it seems to be working.

Thanks for your input and suggestions guys. I will be marking this topic as answered.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card