Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Lookinig for advice WLC 8600 or the 5700

Hi

Looking at upgrading our current 9*WISM wlc over 3 estates, mostly using the 1240AP and 3750 switches.

We're currently looking at the 8600WLC which means we can use the current APs for a few more years or go to the 5700 which would require to replace nearly 950 APs.

The features of the 5700wlc sound good, but my question is, does this only work if you are using the 3850 switch?

I'm interested to hear what people have to comment on this.

If we install the 2600 AP, users wouldn't get the benefit as we are using 3750 switches which are only 100MB ports, so would require to upgrade our switches at the same time.               

Becuse of the nature of the company we have to have resilience on site.  The thought is 2 * 5700 or 8600 one in each distribution (2 each site)and then 1 box in HA pair and configure either of these to fail over to if required. (if possible) 

Replicate this on 3 sites.

I've found the links that compare the 2 wlc together, this seems to be just a general over view, what I'm looking for is the nitty gritty, what benefits we will gain and lose by choosing a certain WLC, the 5700 with 3850 switch for converged network sounds good.

If anyone has any experience of both these, be much appreciated if you could share.

Everyone's tags (4)
4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

The big question if you go full converged access is will you be replacing all the siwthces that the AP's connect to to 3850 or 3650 and terminate capwap at these switches.  You need to look at the support for the 1240's and if you plan to replace all of them also.  They are not supported in converged access:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html#wp133878

The 8500 is a good replacement for the WiSM if you need that much AP licenses and it would be an easy migration also.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
VIP Purple

Agree with Scott:)

Better to go with 8500 series WLC:

Also check it out the features for diff WLC:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/wireless-lan-controller/index.html

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

VIP Purple

Hi Craig

The features of the 5700wlc sound good, but my question is, does this only work if you are using the 3850 switch?

5760 works as a central controller & it does not require 3850/3650 at access layer (If you have that type of access layer, then you can go for converged access). It will work similar to 5508/WiSM functionality with current switch models you have.

The catch is 5760 only support local mode AP deployment as at today. So if you have mix mode APs (Local, FlexConnect, OEAP, etc) then it won't be an ideal soultion as at today.

If you are replacing your access switches as part of an upgrade, always consider 3850/3650 even if you are not doing CA.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Thanks for your replys,looks like it will be the 8500, think the main reason is the 5760 with convereged doesn't support mobility anchors, currently have 4 connected.

cheers

Views
Helpful
Replies