cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAP Wireless Channels

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Let's say I have 10 to 15 LWAPs on my network. We have 2 WLCs which are 5508's.

We have two different wireless networks (one of which will be removed shortly). When

I log on to the WLC I can see I have several LWAPs using 1, 6, and 11. Which are know

are non-overlapping channels. But if I just have 1 network, would it be wise to just put them

on all the same channel, since they are not going to be overlapping anything else?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No. Standard and practice tells us that each channel should have 22 MHz spacing. This is why we have channel 1,6, and 11. If you were to put all your APs on the same channel you would interfere with yourself.

Example, you ever pick up a cordless phone and you listen to someone else talking? This is because your phone shares the same CHANNEL as the other phone system. Same concept with wifi. The problem is that your clients will do retries when there is a lot of chatter.

Not to mention WiFi is CSMA-CA. Shared medium ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No. Standard and practice tells us that each channel should have 22 MHz spacing. This is why we have channel 1,6, and 11. If you were to put all your APs on the same channel you would interfere with yourself.

Example, you ever pick up a cordless phone and you listen to someone else talking? This is because your phone shares the same CHANNEL as the other phone system. Same concept with wifi. The problem is that your clients will do retries when there is a lot of chatter.

Not to mention WiFi is CSMA-CA. Shared medium ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I will further add. If  you have 2 aps on the same channel you should have 20 db difference between them.

Thanks for the help George. I'm assuming since these LWAPs are connected to a WLC, the WLC would automatically

switch the 20db difference between them if they are using the same channel?

So the WLCs use RRM to manage the RF. If you have cisco 3500 with clean air you can use EDRRM. And yes, RRM should manage this for you. All considering if your WLAN deisgn is RRM friendly.

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card