Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

LWAP1142 Question.

Good Morning,

I'm trying to set up a Wireless LAN using WLC 3508, and LWAP 1142. Let's say I would like to provide wireless coverage for lets say 2000 devices (iPad-iTouch)

My current design includes about 65 devices per each AP which brings me to a total of about 35 AP's... ok got that figured out. Here is my challenge - All these people with the devices will be all in ONE BIG Conference Room... this means that in order for me to fit all AP's all AP's (35) will be very near one another... will this cause an interfearance with the AP's being so close? What is the best channel to configure on the WLC?

• Getting Started with Wireless
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

LWAP1142 Question.

Hello Saul,

yes , 1140 is good.

however regarding radio options i see running 2.4 is difficult

with WLC you can use 2.4 only

5 GHz only

or both.

you can enable both - if you have clients requiring 2.4- but before that you have to do a detailed site survey to select the proper channel and recommended ap separation.

also i believe that AP power level has to be decreased on 2.4 radio to avoid co-channel interference ASAP.

anyway , those are my 2 cents :-) as i am not expert in design , however System engineer visiting the site with spectrum expert will be able to determine all these variables.

Kind regards

Talal

==========

please rate answers that you find useful , and mark as answered - when it is :-) - so others can find it easily

3 REPLIES
Silver

LWAP1142 Question.

Hello Saul,

as the AP's very near to others , this will result in co-channel interference.

keeping in mind that B/G (2.4) GHz , has only 3 non overlapping channels.

while 5 GHZ has much more non overlapping channels. then i would recommend using the 5 GHz radio in such dense environment.

also it is needed that you complete a site survey before this installation to determine if you have any external sources of interference / noise / radars from nearby airports... etc

hope this helps.

Kind regards

Talal

==========

please rate answers that you find useful , and mark as answered - when it is :-) - so others can find it easily

LWAP1142 Question.

Hi Talal and Thank you.

Question - So would you say that the 1142 is a good AP to deploy? will there be an option for me to ONLY enable 5GHZ?

What do I do in a situation where some devices only work with 2.4GHZ like an iPhone user, I think iPhone only supports 2.4?

Thank you.

Silver

LWAP1142 Question.

Hello Saul,

yes , 1140 is good.

however regarding radio options i see running 2.4 is difficult

with WLC you can use 2.4 only

5 GHz only

or both.

you can enable both - if you have clients requiring 2.4- but before that you have to do a detailed site survey to select the proper channel and recommended ap separation.

also i believe that AP power level has to be decreased on 2.4 radio to avoid co-channel interference ASAP.

anyway , those are my 2 cents :-) as i am not expert in design , however System engineer visiting the site with spectrum expert will be able to determine all these variables.

Kind regards

Talal

==========

Views
Helpful
Replies