Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

LWAPP Access points flapping

Hi,

I have 1252 and 1260 LWAPP access points in 20 sites connected to a 5500 controller over WAN through flexconnect.

Last two weeks, i noticed that the access points associated to the primary controller keeps flapping.(ie) it stay in primary controller for a minute or two and then it goes off again and again. Moved the APs to the secondary controller. Again i see the same issue. Noticed that there is no issue with the bandwidth.

This issue happened so far in two sites. The issue happens with all the access points at both of these sites. Replaced the access points. Still no luck. So converted the APs to autonomous mode as a temporary fix. Please let me know the suggestions.

Thanks,
Abinaya

Everyone's tags (1)
4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Go to the GUI and click on the Wireless tab.  Click on the access point when joined and scroll down and take a look at the AP uptime and AP join time.  AP uptime is how long the ap has been powered and AP join time is the time the ap has stayed joined.  These should be close... if ap join is lower, then its might be a network issue, especially if your ap's are in local mode.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply...me and abinaya with in same team

yes we have a huge gap between the AP up time and Joining time

Let me tel you in how we are connected...

• We have 1000's of WAN link(MPLS) connected to Data Center.
  • In Data Center we have this WLC 5508
  • 20 Locations are added to this WLC(Flex Connect), each location has 4-5 AP's

Points we observed.

• When we change this AP's to Autonomus mode,its working fine. Even in autonomus mode AP has to reach DC for AAA
  • If the WAN link has some problem, it should effect other devices which connect to DC.
  • We replaced AP's...but no luck.
  • This happened with different locations,different controllers.
  • We found the below logs in all the AP's which met this problem.

Dec 11 05:42:21.375: %DTLS-3-BAD_RECORD: Erroneous record received from X.x.x.x: Duplicate (replayed) record

*Dec 11 05:42:42.971: %LWAPP-3-CLIENTEVENTLOG: Switching to Standalone mode

*Dec 11 05:42:43.011: %DTLS-5-SEND_ALERT: Send FATAL : Close notify Alert to X.x.x.x:5246

*Dec 11 05:42:43.055: %CAPWAP-5-CHANGED: CAPWAP changed state to DISCOVERY

*Dec 11 05:42:53.000: %CAPWAP-5-DTLSREQSEND: DTLS connection request sent peer_ip: x.x.x.x peer_port: 5246

*Dec 11 05:42:53.000: %CAPWAP-5-CHANGED: CAPWAP changed state to 

*Dec 11 05:42:53.863: %CAPWAP-5-DTLSREQSUCC: DTLS connection created sucessfully peer_ip: x.x.x.x peer_port: 5246

*Dec 11 05:42:53.863: %CAPWAP-5-SENDJOIN: sending Join Request to x.x.x.x

*Dec 11 05:42:53.863: %CAPWAP-5-CHANGED: CAPWAP changed state to JOIN

*Dec 11 05:42:54.055: %CAPWAP-5-CHANGED: CAPWAP changed state to CFG

*Dec 11 05:42:54.239: %CAPWAP-5-CHANGED: CAPWAP changed state to UP

*Dec 11 05:42:54.247: %LWAPP-3-CLIENTEVENTLOG: OfficeExtend Localssid saved in AP flash

*Dec 11 05:42:54.395: %CAPWAP-5-JOINEDCONTROLLER: AP has joined controller Cont-Name

*Dec 11 05:42:54.439: %LWAPP-3-CLIENTEVENTLOG: Switching to Connected mode

Please suggest if you observe some thing.

Regards,

Satya.M

Cisco Employee

try increasing ap retransmit count and interval to 8 and 5.

if the above did not make difference then time to find who is dropping packets between ap and wlc network. it seem ap site wan or infrastructure device dropping wlc to ap packets.

Hello Abinaya, Can you please

Hello Abinaya,

Can you please let me know if this issue is resolved and if it did what was the issue. Am facing the exact same issue. 

Thanks 

Shabeeb

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content