Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

LWAPP/CAPWAP AP Cross Site Redundancy w/ 5508 WLC's

Greetings, i'm looking to deploy two new 5508 controllers at two different sites connected by DMVPN, i also have a third site which has a 2504  controller in situ. I want each controller to be able to act as a backup to the other in the event of a controller failure.

Lets call these Sites A,B,C

Site A: 5508 WLC

Site B: 5508 WLC

Site C: 2504 WLC

I want Site A to act as a backup for Site B and C

I want Site B to act as a backup for Site A and C

I want AP's registered to Site C to be able to join the controller at A or B if local controller fails.

Reading the tech docs i can see that under Wireless > Global Configuration you can specify backup primary and backup secondary controllers for AP's

Also the artical states

A single controller at a centralized location can act as a backup for  access points when they lose connectivity with the primary controller in  the local region. Centralized and regional controllers do not need to  be in the same mobility group. In controller software release 4.2 or  later releases, you can specify a primary, secondary, and tertiary  controller for specific access points in your network. Using the  controller GUI or CLI, you can specify the IP addresses of the backup  controllers, which allows the access points to fail over to controllers  outside of the mobility group.

So based on this premise:

Configure controller at Site A with Site B as it's backup primary

Configure controller at Site B with Site A as it's backup primary

Configure controller at Site C with Site A as it's backup primary and Site B as it's backup secondary.

Now this is where it may become slightly trickier, if these controllers were configured with H-REAP groups can i still support this behaviour providing each controller has the same H-REAP configuration?

Any recomendations welcome

Regards

2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: LWAPP/CAPWAP AP Cross Site Redundancy w/ 5508 WLC's

As per my understanding the above AP failover scenario you described applicable to "Local" mode APs. 

In H-REAP, if WLC is not reachable it is going to "Standalone" mode without trying to fail-over to another controller. In that sense what you trying to achieve may not work.

Anyway I have not tested this sort of scenario, you are in a best place to give it a try & see. If that works let us know.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Cisco Employee

Re: LWAPP/CAPWAP AP Cross Site Redundancy w/ 5508 WLC's

When AP's are configured for H-REAP local switching with mobility groups backup is not possible but if AP's are configured for centralized switching with HREAP and mobility these backup of the controller setup can work ..which means that if the one centralized controller goes down then HREAP with centralized switching will go and register with another backup controller...... this is what I think and possible..

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content