Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

MAC addressing across the DS

In an ESS, if a frame is being sent from a station in one BSS to a station in another BSS then that frame will cross the DS from one AP to another.

When the frame leaves the sending station the To DS bit will be set and the address 1 field will be the MAC of that station's AP. The address 2 field will be the MAC of the send station and the address 3 field will be the MAC of the destination station in the other BSS.

The frame will then cross the wired network from one AP to the other.

Now when the frame leaves the AP in the destination BSS the From DS bit will be set and the address 1 field will be the MAC of destination station. The address 2 field will be the MAC of this AP and the address 3 field will be the MAC of the sending station in the other BSS.

If any of this is incorrect please set me straight.

My question is when the frame is sent across the DS from the sender's AP to the receiver's AP what MAC addresses are used in the Etherent II frame? Since it's not an 802.11 frame, we have only a source and destination address not four address fields.

My follow-up question is when the sender's AP receives the frame from the sending station how does it know to send it to the receiver's AP? In other words, how does it know that it's a station in a BSS and not a wired station (assuming the wired station was in the same broadcast domain)?

TIA,

Brad

4 REPLIES

Re: MAC addressing across the DS

I was really hoping some of you smart people would have an answer. I guess I stumped you.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

That is a very good question.....

The AP is a hub and has all the arp entries for all the stations associated to it. So if a device is not in the arp table, the frame will be forwared out all interfaces except for the interface it heard the frame from.... just like a hub.

Makes sense?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Do you mean a switch/bridge? A hub/repeater does not maintain an ARP table, it always floods the frame.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

don't know what I was thinking... It's like a hub.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content