cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

macbook pro and wireless

HUGH LANCASTER
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 2008 rw with Certificate server and NPS, Windows client connect no problem. Cisco 1252 AP's, Cisco 2106 controllers

I have installed certificates on the Macbook pro's and can connect to the wireless -wpa2, peep, etc. Two problems I am experiecing. 1- I cannot login from the macbook with active directory users credentials. Looking at the top-right of the mac screen, no wireless connection. I can login with local user account and connect to the internet everytime; however, sometime I cannot connect to the windows server  - mapped home directories, smb://encsd5/data5/Shared, I have these mapping setup under "connect to server". Any ideas! Is it a windows problem or a wireless issue. What logs do I need to be observing??     Thanks for any help!   

29 Replies 29

Windows machine that is joined to the domain has to authenticate using machine authentication.  This allows the device to login to the wireless prior to getting the login screen.  This doesn't work with non windows machines.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Just reboot. Have not applied the fix from the link. Tells me authentication has failed. Under network wireless is on but "network name" displays no network selected. Looking at the NPS server logs, not seeing any attempt to authenticate. Could this be in issue with the mac and controller. I am going enable logging on the contoller. Again thanks for your help!

Hugh,

The Mac can only login to the wireless when the OS is fully up.  Can you post your show run-config attach it as a text file so the thread isn't so huge.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Getting this error:

AAA Authentication Failure for UserName:PrintShop2  User Type: WLAN USER

Seems everytime I add the radius client for controller 10.100.0.49 I have issues.

For radius client I have WLC -10.100.0.39, WLC2 - 10.100.0.46, 10.100.0.49 and password for all are the same

For each NPS client I added a connection request policy name

secure wireless connection- NAS Port Type Wireless-Other or Wireless IEEE 802.11, NAS IPv4 10.100.0.49

wlc2- NAS Port Type Wireless-Other or Wireless IEEE 802.11, NAS IPv4 10.100.0.46

WLC3 - NAS Port Type Wireless-Other or Wireless IEEE 802.11, NAS IPv4 10.100.0.49

Network Policies-

WLC- Windows Group domain user or computers, NAS Port Type Wirelesss-IEEE 802.11 or Wirelss- other

NAS IPv4 Address 10.100.0.39

For Each Contraints - Peep

How do I attach the log I created?

Hugh,

Export your NPS configuration and email or PM that to me.  I'm thinking its your setup some how.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Hey Scott,

Did you get my email with the NPS attachment? On the NPS server for WLC3 under "connection request policies/Conditions, I removed NAS IPv4 Address 10.100.0.49 and under "network access policies" I removed NAS IPv4 address 10.100.0.49. After that I am now able to conect. Maybe I need to have just one Connection request policy and one Network Policy??

Did you email it or PM? I didn't get it on my work email which is listed in my profile.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Scott,

Looking at you profile, I see option to PM but no option for linking an attachment?

Just PM'd you my email.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Replied to your email with attachment. Thanks

Give me a few to review it.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Scott,

Still same old problem. From the macbook, sometimes I can connect sometimes I can't. Also, it has something to do with wireless because I can connect and stay connected on the ethernet side. Thanks

Let me review your email

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Scott,

Sent you an email. Things are looking better. Appears to be more consistent accessing server. I noticed upon login, in user profile, login items, I have a shared folder (printshop) on a windows 2003 server that fails to automatically map to that server. I have a shared folder on a windows 2008 server , it maps automatically. However, I can force it map by go/ connect to server/ smb://encsd3/encsd.net/data/PrintShop and clicking connect.

The issue with shared folders depends on if the device has joined to the wireless prior to the device trying to connect to the shared using login scripts.  Your login scripts will fail to map a drive if the machine hasn't joined the wireless.  This is why machine authentication works better than PEAP (AD credentials).  With machine authentication, the device will connect to the wireless and then the user is prompted for their login.  This way when the login scripts run, they will be able to connect to the share. 

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card