Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing WLC 4402 Issue

Hi Guys,

What is the meaning of "Centrally Switch WLAN"? I have seen this under the Wireless tab-->AP-->Vlan mappings. I have 2 SSID, "corp-1" and "corp2" and I have disabled "corp-1" for some reasons, but when I go to Wireless tab-->AP-->Vlan mappings I can still see the "corp-1" as the Centrally Switch WLAN and I don't see the "corp-2". Would you know if there is any misconfiguration on our WLC?

*I am using H-REAP on every AP and all vlans are map on vlan mappings and native vlan.

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Gagamboy

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Managing WLC 4402 Issue

for the given WLAN in Centrally switched, the AP forwards all client       authentication requests to the controller and tunnels all client data to the       WLC. Any       WLAN that is configured to operate in this mode is lost during WAN outage, no       matter what the authentication method is.

Regards

Surendra

Hi Surendra,

Can you please explain further, sorry I'm a little bit confused on the switching of WLC. Thanks.

regards,
Gagamboy

Cisco Employee

Centrally switched means, the client authentication will go to the central site and then come back to the Remote site.. when we experience WAN outage, then the clients will no longer connect to the wireless network.. When it is Locally switched, then the clients will not drop out of the wireless network until you disconnect the client manually..

Regards

Surendra

Cisco Employee

lemme know if that answered your question..

Regards
Surendra

Cisco Employee

Hi,

In addition to what Surendra has written i would advise you to take a look into this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns279/c649/ccmigration_09186a00808d9330.pdf.

On Chapter 7 you have all you need regarding H-REAP.

Central Switched—Central switched WLANs tunnel both the wireless user traffic and all control traffic via LWAPP to the centralized WLC where the user traffic is mapped to a dynamic interface/VLAN on the WLC. This represents the normal LWAPP mode of operation.
The traffic of a branch user who is associated to a central switched WLAN will be tunneled directly to the centralized WLC. If that user needs to communicate with computing resources within the branch (where that client is associated), their data is forwarded as standard IP packets back across the WAN link to the branch location. Depending on the WAN link bandwidth, this might not be desirable behavior.

And you have clear pictures showing details.

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content