Views
Helpful
Replies

max distance between work group bridge

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody

Let say we have two buildings, B1 and B2.  We want to connect them using cisco work group bridges  using wireless.

B1(work group bridge1) ====wireless link========(work group bridge 2)

My questions are:

what are my options when it comes to choosing cisco work group bridges supporting 802.11 standards only ?

What are my options when it comes to choosing Antenna?( Assuming we do have clear line of sight)

thanks and have great weekend.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you really need is a point to point bridge on each end. You can't connect two WGB together and most likely you will need the radio/antennas to be mounted outside with cabling running inside the building. Cisco resells the Exalt r5005 bridges which has a max throughput of 160mbps half duplex. Or you can go with the 1400 bridges witch are EOS/EOL I believe.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

No problem. It's better that you look at bridging technologies. There are a lot out there and some even go up to gigabit full duplex.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

By the way, most bridge manufacture will have some sort of outdoor bridge calculator that can give you an idea of your throughput, fresnel zone, etc.

-Scott

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you really need is a point to point bridge on each end. You can't connect two WGB together and most likely you will need the radio/antennas to be mounted outside with cabling running inside the building. Cisco resells the Exalt r5005 bridges which has a max throughput of 160mbps half duplex. Or you can go with the 1400 bridges witch are EOS/EOL I believe.

-Scott

Thanks Scott.

No problem. It's better that you look at bridging technologies. There are a lot out there and some even go up to gigabit full duplex.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

By the way, most bridge manufacture will have some sort of outdoor bridge calculator that can give you an idea of your throughput, fresnel zone, etc.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: