Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Max users for a AIR-LAP1142-A-K9

I work at a small University where are are moving from a hitspot infrastructure (just provide wireless access)  to dense user support model in order to use wireless during classrrom instruction.  It have a request to provide wirless coverage in a classroom for up to 30 users.  I have installed a Lap-1142 in the hall just overisde of the classroom last semister which provided wireless access for about 12 students.  The class enrollment has grown and now will need to support up to 30 users.  I just install a C3560G-POE to provide 1GB uplink for the switch. The instructed stated she will require students to download pdf files and some streaming media during class and I was asked if the wireless will be able to support this requirement.

I am not sure how many concurrent users a LAP-1142 can support and if it can can it support streaming media for 30 users.  How would I go about testing this senairio? How can one test AP throughput?  How do I ensure it will work during class with having to place another AP within the classroom?

Thank you for your help.

Mike

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Max users for a AIR-LAP1142-A-K9

Double posted.  Me bad. 

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Cisco recommends no more than 25 clients per AP.   (But this never stopped anyone from exceeded the recommended number.  I've seen someone with 38:1).

Is the AP connected to Gig port?

I also try to follow the 25 to 1 recommendation.  However, using a 1252, I have seen a little over 30 connect with no issues.

Currently replacing the AP is not an option, I may be able to get another 1142 but this is my spare.  Is there a way I can test throughput on an AP?

Mike

Yes, i am connected to a 1GB port.  Where could I located Cisco's 25 user limit recommendation and how can I test the through put of the AP?

Thanks

mike

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Where could I located Cisco's 25 user limit recommendation

If you have an autonomous AP, then there's no need to worry.  It's just a rule-of-thumb.  If it's controller-based then it's:

Wireless > 802.11a/n (or 802.11b/g/n) > General and look at "Clients (1 to 75)". 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content