cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum number of SSIDs supported on a WiSM

dladen
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking to deploy couple hundred radios supported by a WiSM. We want to be able to have a region of radios have there 16 WLAN id associated with vlan 1-16 and a second set up radios in a different area have their 16 WLAN ID associated with vlans 17-32 and region 3 use vlan 33-48 and so on.

We only want to use the B/G airspace.

I have not seen this ability in the 4400 WLC but have been told it can be done in the WiSM. Can this been done. Has anyone done it? Can it be done in the 4400? How far can it scale?

Thank you for any insight.

Dan

3 Replies 3

dladen
Level 1
Level 1

I looked at the "Configuring a Cisco Wireless Services Module and Wireless Control System" file. It states that the WiSM supports 16 WLANs and 512 operator-defined interfaces.

From this, I assume I can support 32 WLANs.

Can one associate a WLAN with multiple interfaces.

magress
Level 1
Level 1

Dan,

Yes this is possible with a feature called 'AP groups vlan'. However, please understand there are some limitations. The 16 SSID is for lightweight APs only, the IOS based access points will only support 8. Please refer to the following documentation for additional information:

AP Group VLANs configuration example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml

4.0 WLC configuration guide:

http://cco/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_guide_book09186a00806b0077.html

I hope this helps.

-Mark

A maximum of 16 WLAN can be configured per WLC (WLAN ID 1 to 16). However, on most APs (in fact all previously IOS Cisco APs such as the 1242AG, 1130AG, 1232...), only WLAN ID 1 to 8 will be pushed to the APs (hardware limitation). So, except if you use the old Airespace AP (1010 or 1020), you are limited to 8 WLAN or SSIDs per WLC.

As the WISM contains two WLC (each WLC supports up to 150APs), a max of 16 (or 32) different WLAN can be used.

Hope it helps,

Gaetan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card