Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum size of logs can be stored in WLC

vijay kumar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

How much size logs can we store in WLC ? IS there any way to see the old logs ?

Plz provide links if its there?

Thanks,

Regards,

Vijay

7 Replies 7

Follow previous question related to logs...
Supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2195348

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Vijay,

Maximum 256 message logs are stored locally (FIFO). Use external syslog server!

How to use External syslog server: see this document.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/02/06/syslog-msg-log-in-wlc/

Hope it helps

Regards

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am not 100% confirm with the size of logs, you can check with the help of keyword size in WLC.

However,

The default buffer

size is 4096. The range is 4096 to 4294967295 bytes. The default buffer size is 4096. The range is 4096 to 4294967295 bytes.

Thnanks abishek for the reply . But how many entries of logs can it store? When I was checking with my WLC log , it was showing only last 256 entries only..

Thanks,

Regards,

Vijay

HI Vijay,

issue a show  logging from the wlc CLI to see how many messages it will store. These  messages are stored in nvram, so it's hard to say. I don't think so that yo  can increase it.

You might be better off getting NCS or PI and look at the logs there.

SNMP       engine on NCS/PI is used to communicate with the NCS/PI. It helps to push the       configurations to the

NCS/PIand gather logs and traps from the NCS/PI . It uses SNMP       protocol for all communications with the NCS/PI.

Regards

Hope it helps.

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

SUMMARY STEPS for configuring loggin

1.    configure terminal

2.    *logging buffered [size]========================see the note for details

3.    logging host

4.    logging file flash: filename [max-file-size [min-file-size]] [severity-level-number | type]

5.    end

6.    terminal monitor

Note:

*Logs messages to an internal buffer on the switch or on a standalone switch or, in the case of a switch stack, on the h. The range is 4096 to 2147483647 bytes. The default buffer size is 4096 bytes.

* Do not make the buffer size too large because the switch could run out of memory for other tasks. Use the show memory privileged EXEC command to view the free processor memory on the switch. However, this value is the maximum available, and the buffer size should not be set to this amount.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think that depends on the HW/SW versions.

I have my msglog with like 450+ messages. It is 8500 WLC with 7.6.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: