cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MBSSIDs on 871w. How?

ArdjanCisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! According to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html my 871w supports two MBSSIDs, so I could give both of my wlans a different broadcasted name.

I have a current c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.T1.bin on it, but I am not capable of enabling the MBSSID with 'dot 11 mbssid' Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ardjan,

Have you tried this method?

CLI Configuration Example

This example shows the CLI commands that you use to enable multiple BSSIDs on a radio interface, create an SSID called visitor, designate the SSID as a BSSID, specify that the BSSID is included in beacons, set a DTIM period for the BSSID, and assign the SSID visitor to the radio interface:

router(config)# interface dot11 0

router(config-if)# mbssid

router(config-if)# exit

router(config)# dot11 ssid visitor

router(config-ssid)# mbssid guest-mode

router(config-ssid)# exit

router(config)# interface dot11 0

router(config-if)# ssid visitor

Requirements for Configuring Multiple BSSIDs

To configure multiple BSSIDs, your access points must meet these minimum requirements:

VLANs must be configured

Access points must run Cisco IOS Release 12.4(6th)T or later

Access points must contain an 802.11a or 802.11g radio that supports multiple BSSIDs. To determine whether a radio supports multiple basic SSIDs, enter the show controllers radio_interface command. The radio supports multiple basic SSIDs if the results include this line:

Number of supported simultaneous BSSID on radio_interface:

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008067e9f6.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

No, sorry, it didn't work.

My facts:

* I have IOS 12.4(11)T1

* According to the link in my first post, my Router 871w is capable of two MBSSIDs

* I have VLANs configured

So, I guessed it could be possible to broadcast both my SSIDs (one private with WPA-PSK, one 'guest' with WEP, with some ACLs between them)...

Thanks anyway.

Hi Ardjan,

What do you see when you enter the show controllers radio_interface command? The radio supports multiple basic SSIDs if the results include this line:

Number of supported simultaneous BSSID on radio_interface X

Rob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card