Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Mesh APs losing connectivity

Hi All

I have inherited some support responsibilities for a wireless network that includes some mesh elements.

To me it looks to be porrly implemented but that's another issue.

There are a total of 48 RAPs with 48 MAPs. It looks like the intention was that each MAP would have it's own neighbour RAP.

The initial reported issue was that coverage from some of the MAPs was poor and the client was rebooting the MAP which resolved the issue for a while.

Investigating I found that a number of MAPs were dropping off the system and rebooting.

I then found that the majority of the RAPs did not have downlink access enabled - the state was unknown.

I rebooted the RAPs and they all came back up with downlink access enabled.

All the MAPs came up OK and appeared to be stable.

I am concerned that most of the RAPs are on the same 5GHz channel and have stated that this needs to be changed.

I've also noted that the BGN has been left at 'default' which is probably not good practise.

The mesh network is not stable and the RAPs are dropping the MAPs again.

The WLC code is 7.0.220.0

Anyone come across this type of issue?

It looks to be such a simple design that it should just work.

Regards

Roger                

7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Mesh APs losing connectivity

Roger,

When deploying mesh, its one thing, but taking over an existing mesh... Well that's another thing:)

Not knowing how the RAPs and MAPs are positioned it makes it thought to tell you what you need. If you look at the environment and you can see that one MAP should actually connect to a single RAP, that can make things easier. I would then create a BGN for each RAP to MAP link. Also looking at an overhead map, you can assign the 5ghz channel which should be overlapping like how an indoor deployment would be. Another thing is power, you can lower the TX power on RAPs that have MAP's closer located. Of course, make sure you create the BGN on the MAP first then the RAP. This is what I would do.

Another thing would be looking at the mounting and antennas on each RAP and MAP and verify that they are installed properly.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott

Its a support customer we've taken on for our colleagues in Spain.

Its a very simple indoor design.

Its basically 8 floors of a building with 6 corridors on each floor.

Each corridor has a RAP and a MAP about 10m apart (I know!).

There are 48 RAPs in total and theoretically they'd all have 1 child MAP associated.

However, of the 48 RAPs only about 6 were working properly because on the others the downlink status was 'unknown'.

As a consequence, those MAPs that were working were associated to distant RAPs on other floors.

The problem is that the system just isn't stable and the RAPs are having to be rebooted to bring up the downlinks again and enable the MAPs to associate.

I don't know if its the co-channel interference or the power levels that are causing the issues.

Is the lack of a BGN likely to cause issues? Its currently using 'default'.

Regards

Roger

I would say it is the lack of setting the BGN.  Why would you want your MAP to keep switching RAP's especially on different floors... this can also cause a MAP to associate to a MAP and then you can have 3 or 4 hops.  If you know that a MAP can link up with a single RAP, I would separate each... RAP/MAP BGN Fl8CoorA for example.  Sinc ether RAP also has to have the channel and power set, you will need to plan that our also, but shouldn't be bad since its on the 5ghz.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

One thing also Roger.... the outdoor Ethernet cable for the RAP's should also be shielded... if not, voltage for PoE can drop and be an issue.  We have seen this in the past also and with specific lightning arrestors.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Hi Scott

These are all indoor APs with internal antennas. They are 1142N APs.

Roger

That's fine.... its still the same, except for the shielded cable.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

The one thing also with using default as the BGN, is that if you have neighboring MESH that also uses default.  Maybe redesing a floor and baseline the stability over a few days or weeks.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies