Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mesh option not shown for AIR-CAP2602E-N-K9

Hi,

End user has a AIR-CT2504-K9 with 7.3.112.0 version and AIR-CAP2602E-N-K9 , currently all in local mode.

I want to set one of the as RAP and another as MAP but a can´t see those option.

how can I set this option in those LAPs?

regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For indoor access points to be in a mesh, you first need to define or set the 5ghz channel and power on the AP you want to be a RAP. Get the MAC address of the RAP and enter that in the WLC Mac filter. When that is done, you change the mode from local to bridge and the AP will reboot. When the AP comes back up, you will have a new tab in the GUI for that AP. It's the MESH tab and that is where you define the AP to be a RAP or MAP. You also would set the Bridge Group Name (BGN). You would do the same for the MAP.

Take a look at this document if you need more info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a0080b1c101.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI,

I think the backhaul has to be on the 5ghz and your model AP is only 2.4ghz.

Only 5 GHz backhaul is possible on all mesh access points except 1522 in which either 2.4 or 5 GHz radio can be configured as a backhaul radio

Its recommend that you use 5 GHz as the first option and use 2.4 GHz only if the 5-GHz option does not work.

Changing the Backhaul from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/7.3/design/guide/Mesh_chapter_0101.html#ID6769

Regards

Hi Sandeepchoudhary21,

In fact thi model is dual band.

thanks for link , is a good reference.

regards

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For indoor access points to be in a mesh, you first need to define or set the 5ghz channel and power on the AP you want to be a RAP. Get the MAC address of the RAP and enter that in the WLC Mac filter. When that is done, you change the mode from local to bridge and the AP will reboot. When the AP comes back up, you will have a new tab in the GUI for that AP. It's the MESH tab and that is where you define the AP to be a RAP or MAP. You also would set the Bridge Group Name (BGN). You would do the same for the MAP.

Take a look at this document if you need more info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a0080b1c101.shtml

-Scott

Thanks Scott,

I appreciate your time for your explanation. I have just checked the document, is very clear.

I just recommend Cisco to update the documet for a newer version.

Regards   5+  :-)

Glad you have it working. Now if you get a bit crazy and want to implement Ethernet bridging. Here is a good non Cisco doc that explains it good.

http://phasedcoexistence.blogspot.com/2011/12/cisco-mesh-ethernet-vlan-tagging.html?m=1

-Scott

thanks Scott for this additional info

have a nice day

Hi Scott,

I'm still doing some tests for mesh topology, I'm using  two 1242 and one 1252 LAPs.

I have a doubt regarding my mesh topology ; I'm trying to set the following scenario, full mesh with the 3 LAPs (view screenshot)

I have set one root (AP_1242_Root) and two MAPs (AP_1252_MAP,AP_1242_MAP)

when I checked 802.11a/n Radios---> Radio Role  I see two downlinks an one Access.
How the radio role is defined as downlink or access?
Why there is no Uplink Radio Role in any of the Mesh APs?

I notice that 1252 AP an 1242 Root has the status led in blue color (permanent) but the  second 1242_MAP not.
cheking sh mesh ap tree command I see that second MAP is in other sector, this is the reason?
that´s mean the full mesh is not set? ,

Why there is a difference in the number of RAPs in the info display for; show mesh ap tree and show mesh ap summary  ?

show mesh ap tree states: 1 RAP
show mesh ap summary states: 2 RAPs

Thanks in advance for your time

regards

Downlink is usually the RAP or MAP that's connected to a MAP that's connected to a RAP. So really downstream you can look at that. Access varies in code level and is usually the MAP connected to just a RAP.

I don't look at the LED in MESH because if the MAP is connected to the RAP, your LED will be blue.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card