Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Might be a stupid question but....

We are investigating a wireless solution for a mobile DR unit & I am wanting to know if a generator would interfere with wireless comunication. The generator would be in close proximity to the network and I was wondering if it might casue some problems for us if we go down the wireless track.

Any ideas , thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Might be a stupid question but....

There are several things that would determine if the generator would create interference. First it would depend on actually how close the generator was to the network. Second it would depend on the size of the generator. The generator will produce (EMI) Electromagnetic Interference that will hinder the wireless network if it is close enough to it and or if the generator is big enough. The way to avoid this is to move the wireless network away from the generator or anything that might produce a lot of EMI. If the generator is on the ground then you could just move the antennas and or the wireless bridges up higher.

Community Member

Hi Marty,

We have a Onan 35Kva generator for our computer room. It sits about 25 feet from my cube where I have a 340 access point with the rubber duckie antennas atttached. The only thing seperating me from the generator is a small office (10' x 15'). We test the generator on a regular basis, and have never noticed any problems with interference. The generator is on a regular maintenance program, so things like loose connections, bad spark plugs etc. are checked and repaired. As part of a DR plan, I would imagine you would include generator maintenance, so you should be covered.

Community Member

Any radio frequency noise coming from a motor generator set or power equipment is due to electrical arcing, which is not a good thing. In motors and generators there is some controlled arcing on the armature brushes. If they are worn out and not maintained, the arcing can become extreme and destroy the armature, not good. I have seen extreme cases where arcs generated broad spectrum noise covering from DC to 250MHz. Generally the noise is negligible and can not be heard by an AM portable radio tuned to 1000KHz, the middle of the AM band. If the radio noise levels change drastically when the generator is started, it’s time for maintenance. There is also the possibility of noise from the spark plugs. The spark plug cables should suppress this. Again the AM radio will detect it, and if it does, it’s time for some maintenance. Ignition noise generally stays below 7MHz. 2.4GHz is a long way away.

CreatePlease to create content