Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Wism 2 to 8500 WLC

Hi,

This week I'm working on a WLAN project which involves WiSM 2 blades migration to CISCO 8500 controller.

Customer has two Cisco 6500 switches in HA Pair with 3 WiSM blades installed on them.

They have total 2000 APs. currently all these APs are managed by multiple WiSM blades and 4400, 2200 WLCs. We proposed a 8500 controller with base 300 AP licenses to start with.

In phase 1: we will migrate 300 APs to the new 8500 controller, the remaining APs will be kept as they are now. Later once the budget is allocated for Phase 2; we will migrate the remaining APs as well.

From your experience; what will be the best way to migrate all these APs from WISM to 8500 wlc? Is there any best practice that I should follow?

Thanks,
CJ

Any best practices that should be followed ?

Phase 2 wil be

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

that should work.  I would try to get all the WLC on the same code, and use the primary/secondary configuration to move AP's between the mobility goup members.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Migrating Wism 2 to 8500 WLC

One thing you need to keep in mind is that when you add additional licenses, you have to reboot the WLC so you will have to figure out how you can do that piece to.

Steve is right about code and setting up the high availability on the AP's. You might have to move AP's back to the WiSM 2 when you reboot the 8500.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
3 REPLIES

that should work.  I would try to get all the WLC on the same code, and use the primary/secondary configuration to move AP's between the mobility goup members.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Migrating Wism 2 to 8500 WLC

One thing you need to keep in mind is that when you add additional licenses, you have to reboot the WLC so you will have to figure out how you can do that piece to.

Steve is right about code and setting up the high availability on the AP's. You might have to move AP's back to the WiSM 2 when you reboot the 8500.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Awesome,

Thanks for your valuable inputs Steve and Scott.

I will make sure that the Controllers will be at same code and configure the primary and backup Controllers for those 300 APs.

Thanks again.

CJ

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content