I have recently upgraded our Cisco WCS to version 6.0.181 and all the controllers have been upgraded to 6.0.196 from 5.2.178. I have noticed that on some of the access points I have lost the ability to monitor the "current associated clients." At first it seemed that it was only a problem with the 1142 access points, but I have found a few 1242's that this feature is not accessible. I can see that there are clients associated, but the tab to view the clients is gone when you try to drill down. This feature does work on most of the AP's, but there are at least 5 where it no longer works. For the AP's that it does not work, I can go into the map and turn on clients to see the clients that way.
We also have a location appliance and that is running version 6.0.101. I have also synchronized since the upgrade.
I have attached a couple screenshots of the issue. Please note that I did remove ip and mac addresses to keep our security folks happy.
Is this a possible software bug or has anyone else experienced this issue after upgrading?
I'm seeing this as well in WCS (18.104.22.168) On some APs, the "Current Associated Clients"-Tab is missing, even there are clients on the AP. And they never show up (just to make sure that it isn't a case of 'have not yet asked the AP' of WCS). And it is always on the same APs, with others it is no problem at all. There is the same software on every AP, and it is even the same model.
I just wanted to update this thread to inform anyone looking for an answer to this problem. I submitted my issue with TAC and it was determined to be a bug. This issue actually resides on the controllers and not with WCS. There is a new release that corrects this issue:
WLC release 6.0.199 is available on Cisco.com and it contains a fix for the bug CSCtf06314. The release notes for this release can be found here: