Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Anonymous
N/A

Mix of AP deployment

We are using WLC 5508 with 7.4.121.  One of floors has AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9  and AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9.  Could that be a problem?

How many APs are too many APs?  

7 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Hi,We are using WLC 5508 with

Hi,

We are using WLC 5508 with 7.4.121.  One of floors has AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9  and AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9.  Could that be a problem?

No,there is no problem in mixing the APs.

How many APs are too many APs?  

Its depends on your requirement. (Or just explain this question?)

Regards

Anonymous
N/A

Most of APs are power level 1

Most of APs are power level 1, maximum.  Should I add more APs?  Someone told me power level should be around 3 or 4.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Should I add more APs?

Should I add more APs?

Don't go blindly adding wireless access points without having a wireless site survey done.

As San said, you can mix the

As San said, you can mix the access points in the same environment.  Your other question is much easier asked than answered.

The reason everyone is recommending a site survey are that you will likely end up with fewer access points, fewer coverage holes, lower channel utilization, and better performance.  The survey will likely cost you much less then just adding more access points and it will not be a waist of your time.

A site survey encompasses several factors (not just coverage) and due to these factors the results are not consistent from one site to the next.

The average power level of 3-4 does tend to be optimal, but it depends.  Getting all of your access points at a power level of 3-4 (with default RRM settings) does not happen without a site survey.  If most of your access points are running at a 1, then that is an indicator that you may need more access points, but once again it depends.

Depends .. What grade of

Depends .. What grade of wirless ? Was a survey ever done .
__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Silver

well getting the site survey

well getting the site survey done is the best option as it will help you identify the quantity of AP as capacity planning is on the major factor in determining the number of AP's per deployment as part from coverage.

No,there is no problem in

No,there is no problem in mixing AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9  and AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9. Also , the number of Access Points deployed depends upon your scenario.

Views
Helpful
Replies