Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility group -without layer 3 roaming

janesh_abey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

With a N+1 WLC deployment, is it possible to disable layer 3 roaming while enabling Mobility group feature on the backup controller ?

based on the network setup layer 3 mobility is not required.However,  we need to both controllers to exchange all security related  parameters so that excluded clients info etc  will be in sync during a failover scenario.

I do not  intend to use ACLs as such.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

cheers,

Janesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Janesh,

seems like there is nothing for you to do. Let me clarify my thoughts so you can tell me if I saw correctly your concern :

-If buildings are separate, the case that a laptop roams from the coverage of 1 WLC to the coverage of another WLC will never happen right ? So if this is not going to happen, layer 3 roaming will never happen either.

-If no layer 3 roaming is happening, no extra load is affecting the WLC.

Nicolas

===

don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Janesh,

let me ask for several clarifications.

-Why exactly do you want to block layer 3 roaming ? How does it impact you as anyway it's transparent for the network ?

-Does that mean that you're ok with layer 2 roaming ? If yes, just configure all WLCs to serve the same subnets for the clients.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Hi Nicolas,

Many thanks for the  reply.

Let me throw some light on the matter

-Why exactly do you want to block layer 3 roaming ?

Buildings are miles apart so roaming  will only happen within a building and it will be  intra controller.

Also  I have seen on cisco doco that Layer 3 roaming is not preferred.

How does it impact you as anyway it's transparent for the network ?

As I mentioned layer 3 roaming is not required so I don't see a point enabling it.Why tax the controller unnecessarily?

One controller serves all the APs at one data centre and the other is the backup.No salt and pepper  scenario.

-Does that mean that you're ok with layer 2 roaming ? If yes, just configure all WLCs to serve the same subnets for the clients

Layer2 roaming will happen  within the controller as  primary and backup controllers are Layer -3 separated.

There is no layer 2 adjacency between the controllers.

over to you

cheers,

Janesh

Janesh,

seems like there is nothing for you to do. Let me clarify my thoughts so you can tell me if I saw correctly your concern :

-If buildings are separate, the case that a laptop roams from the coverage of 1 WLC to the coverage of another WLC will never happen right ? So if this is not going to happen, layer 3 roaming will never happen either.

-If no layer 3 roaming is happening, no extra load is affecting the WLC.

Nicolas

===

don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

yeap. you are correct.Looks like I have being overly cautious on mobility group.

Thanks clearing my doubt.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card