Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility group -without layer 3 roaming

janesh_abey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

With a N+1 WLC deployment, is it possible to disable layer 3 roaming while enabling Mobility group feature on the backup controller ?

based on the network setup layer 3 mobility is not required.However,  we need to both controllers to exchange all security related  parameters so that excluded clients info etc  will be in sync during a failover scenario.

I do not  intend to use ACLs as such.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

cheers,

Janesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Janesh,

seems like there is nothing for you to do. Let me clarify my thoughts so you can tell me if I saw correctly your concern :

-If buildings are separate, the case that a laptop roams from the coverage of 1 WLC to the coverage of another WLC will never happen right ? So if this is not going to happen, layer 3 roaming will never happen either.

-If no layer 3 roaming is happening, no extra load is affecting the WLC.

Nicolas

===

don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Janesh,

let me ask for several clarifications.

-Why exactly do you want to block layer 3 roaming ? How does it impact you as anyway it's transparent for the network ?

-Does that mean that you're ok with layer 2 roaming ? If yes, just configure all WLCs to serve the same subnets for the clients.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Hi Nicolas,

Many thanks for the  reply.

Let me throw some light on the matter

-Why exactly do you want to block layer 3 roaming ?

Buildings are miles apart so roaming  will only happen within a building and it will be  intra controller.

Also  I have seen on cisco doco that Layer 3 roaming is not preferred.

How does it impact you as anyway it's transparent for the network ?

As I mentioned layer 3 roaming is not required so I don't see a point enabling it.Why tax the controller unnecessarily?

One controller serves all the APs at one data centre and the other is the backup.No salt and pepper  scenario.

-Does that mean that you're ok with layer 2 roaming ? If yes, just configure all WLCs to serve the same subnets for the clients

Layer2 roaming will happen  within the controller as  primary and backup controllers are Layer -3 separated.

There is no layer 2 adjacency between the controllers.

over to you

cheers,

Janesh

Janesh,

seems like there is nothing for you to do. Let me clarify my thoughts so you can tell me if I saw correctly your concern :

-If buildings are separate, the case that a laptop roams from the coverage of 1 WLC to the coverage of another WLC will never happen right ? So if this is not going to happen, layer 3 roaming will never happen either.

-If no layer 3 roaming is happening, no extra load is affecting the WLC.

Nicolas

===

don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

yeap. you are correct.Looks like I have being overly cautious on mobility group.

Thanks clearing my doubt.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card