Views
Helpful
Replies

Move base-ap license to another WLC?

serotonin888
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I would like to move the base license from a Cisco air-ct5508-50-k9 to a new air-ct5508-12-k9.

And then move the air-ct5508-12-k9 to the air-ct5508-50-k9. Baically swap them around.

The reason I need to do this is that it will be very hard to move the units physically so just moving the base license would make life much easier.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Ummm no I dont think that is possible actually because its the 'base' licence, i.e the one shipped with the unit.

Perhaps Cisco TAC may be able to assist?

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Ummm no I dont think that is possible actually because its the 'base' licence, i.e the one shipped with the unit.

Perhaps Cisco TAC may be able to assist?

EvaldasOu
Level 4
Level 4

I think this is impossible.

Hi,

different devices have different serial numbers, and the license has  that serial number inside it."among other inventory items"

moving the license between WLC's is not possible.

you can open a TAC case stating your problem and someone from the licensing team will help you to sort that out.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not possible. for more info you can conatct licensing@cisco.com

serotonin888
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just to follow up. I opened a ticket with the licensing team and they indicated that it was possible.

Thanks

Hi,

Sounds strange when Cisco guys here says "impossible", but Cisco licensing team says "possible". Please let us know if it works!

I had a feeling that it was 'possible' if you contacted TAC but I knew you were not able to do it yourself due to licencing with serial numbers etc.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is interesting because I have been told many times from TAC and the BU that a base license can't be moved unless for an RMA in which they would provide a new license and or if you had an adder license which that can be moved.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card