Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Moving wireless controllers to another site

I am planning to move our WLC's (5508) from a branch site to HQ so that all branch site APs will just report centrally in the HQ.

There are two WLCs working as Active/Standby. Plan is to move one then the other. Any plans, tips or advise on how I could accomplish this?

I am not really inclined with wireless.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Its pretty simple... You move one and make changes to that WLC (IP address, etc) and then configure the mobility group to reflect the new ip address of the WLC.  Then you would change the ap's primary wlc to be that of the one that will stay (just in case) and set the secondary to the one that will move.  Verify that the mobility is up between the two WLC's after you move the on to HQ.  When you have connectivity between the two WLC's and the mobility is up, go ahead an set the primary to one of the AP's to the WLC at HQ's and the secondary to the WLC that didn't move.  If the AP's joins the WLC at the HQ, you are good to go to make the changes to all the other AP's (of course if you have enough license).  Then do the same procedure with the other WLC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
9 REPLIES

Its pretty simple... You move one and make changes to that WLC (IP address, etc) and then configure the mobility group to reflect the new ip address of the WLC.  Then you would change the ap's primary wlc to be that of the one that will stay (just in case) and set the secondary to the one that will move.  Verify that the mobility is up between the two WLC's after you move the on to HQ.  When you have connectivity between the two WLC's and the mobility is up, go ahead an set the primary to one of the AP's to the WLC at HQ's and the secondary to the WLC that didn't move.  If the AP's joins the WLC at the HQ, you are good to go to make the changes to all the other AP's (of course if you have enough license).  Then do the same procedure with the other WLC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Moving wireless controllers to another site

There are two WLCs working as Active/Standby.

I've got something to blow your socks off ... Read this:  Always-On Mobile Experience with Wi-Fi

Impending firmware version 7.3.X release is very, very, very soon.

Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide, Release 7.3

Yeah... and you only have to get license for one WLC not both.  So will it be cheaper... hmmmm

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

and you only have to get license for one WLC not both. 

Exactly!

Now how is Cisco going to make money out of that, I have no idea.

But the potential of the "sub-second AP stateful switch over" is mind-boggling!

I've always liked having APs on both because you never know when your primary might fail and then find out your secondary wasn't working:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Scott,

You can now download 7.3.101.0 TODAY!

Yeah... Im actually testing it out to see what's broke:) Of course nothing is.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Reading the 7.3.101.0 release notes today I opted out.  I don't even have NCS 1.1.1.24 fully implemented and it's already obsolete.

Upgrading to Controller Software Release 7.3.101.0

Guidelines and Limitations

The 7.3.101.0 controller software release is not compatible with Cisco Prime Network Control System (NCS) 1.1.1.24. Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2 is required to support the new features in controllers introduced in the 7.3.101.0 controller software release. Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2 is the subsequent version of Cisco Prime Network Control System (NCS) 1.1.1.24

I guess have it on both. Half will be primary on the other but with that setup.

Views
Helpful
Replies