Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Moving WLC network connection, what will APs do?

I have two 2125 WLCs with Software Version 7.0.98.0. Some APs and the secondary WLC are connected to a Layer 3 PoE switch which connects back to my main network with the first WLC. My question is, if the APs on the L3 switch are looking at my main WLC and that connection goes down what will the APs do? I believe they're supposed to transition to the secondary WLC but how can I verify failover is set up properly? I also have a WCS setup, should I be able to configure my APs in my WCS and the WCS pushes the info to the WLCs? In the past failover does not seem to operate correctly and I think it's because both WLCs don't have the same Ap groups and WLANs configured on them so when it sees another AP the WLC doesn't know what to do with it so puts it in the default group.

I installed a new AP once and later on had to disconnect it from the network, when I plugged the AP back into the network eventually it found a WLC but all of it's configuration that it originally had from the WLC was lost. Is there a way to write the AP's config once configured in the WLC?

My main concern is if an AP cannot find a WLC for a few minutes, could it possibly lose all of it's configuration? How can I backup my WLC settings, AP group associations in the event of losing a WLC? I know enough to just get the APs running with the WLC so am nervous about making changes to them.

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

The hostname of the WLC is also case sensitive... as long as the mobility is up, the AP should join the other WLC... might take a minute or so.  You can always bounce the AP to see if it does join the secondary.  If not, then you might have a configuration issue.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
14 REPLIES

You need to make sure you have the mobility groups setup properly and that the status of the mobility is up.  Also make sure you have AP Fallback enabled and you have set your Primary and Secondary high availability on the access point.  I would put all the ap's on one wlc using the WCS template or manually moving the ap's over, then make the change to the WLC when it doesn't have any ap's.  Then move the ap's back and make changes to the other WLC if you have to.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thanks a lot for your response Scott! I will be looking into this!

I have a few more questions... How do I manually move the AP? Is it just a matter of putting the secondary WLC's IP in an AP's primary controller field and rebooting the AP, or once the IP is entered into the primary field will the AP automatically try to connect?

If I upgrade the WLCs before the WCS, will the WCS downgrade my WLCs when they reboot after the upgrade process?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Moving WLC network connection, what will APs do?

How do I manually move the AP? Is it just a matter of putting the secondary WLC's IP in an AP's primary controller field and rebooting the AP, or once the IP is entered into the primary field will the AP automatically try to connect?

You need to define the primary, secondary or tertiary WLC and enter that in the high availability field on the AP. the WLC's need to be in the same mobility group and AP fallback needs to be enabled.

If I upgrade the WLCs before the WCS, will the WCS downgrade my WLCs when they reboot after the upgrade process?

WCS doesn't matter as far as ap code.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Scott, I have checked the mobility domain settings on both WLCs and they are in the same domain. AP Fallback on the controller tab is enabled. The primary WLC is configured as 192.168.1.2 yet the AP is still connected to WLC 192.168.1.1, entering 192.168.1.2 does not make the AP move to the other WLC. Thanks for any help with this!

This is from, https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4096

"In addition to this, when there is a Mobility Group setup, the AP does not proceed to another controller until the AP determines that the current Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) is no longer accessible"

Do you think my AP is not failing over or moving to the other WLC since the one it's connected to is still operational?

The hostname of the WLC is also case sensitive... as long as the mobility is up, the AP should join the other WLC... might take a minute or so.  You can always bounce the AP to see if it does join the secondary.  If not, then you might have a configuration issue.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

The name was the issue! Thanks for your help! Does the name field have to be the name or could you also use the MAC address?

Has to be the WLC hostname

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

I have successfully upgraded my 2125's to the latest software, 7.0.240.0. When I now enter the hostname and IP of a a new primary WLC the Ap does not move, it stays on what I have configured as the secondary WLC. They moved correctly before upgrading to this new code, any ideas of what might be preventing them? Thanks!

Nevermind sorry, I had a typo in the hostname.

Hostname is also case sensitive just in case

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Quick note... you don't seem to have to be in an "HA" setup in order to use these High Availability fields successfully. They appear to essentially run the following commands in the controller CLI:

config ap primary-base

config ap secondary-base

... and to essentially correspond with the following commands in the AP CLI:

capwap ap controller ip address

capwap ap primary-base

capwap ap secondary-base

No setting for secondary controller IP address in the AP CLI. It's a bit redundant... but has helped us especially for initial setup.

There must be a configuration issue with the AP.As they are not able to join the WLC. You can also refer to the link for troubleshooting options-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a00808f8599.shtml

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content