Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

MSE 3355 help (can't log in)

Good afternoon,

This is my first time posting here and I hopeful for positive feedback.  I'm currently trying to initiate an MSE out of the box into our infant wireless network.  Recently, I set up a WLC 5508 and a couple of APs to start it off.  I'm currently having trouble with the MSE after initial configuration; possibly from operator (me) errors. 

The first thing I've done was follow the installation guide for the 3350 from Cisco's website.  But after going through the CLI, I noticed there were a few other options to be configured not covered in the guide.  I was somewhat hasty and opted to leave those options as they were defaulted.  I did manage to setup a couple of passwords, including the GRUB.  After the initial configurations, I wanted to attempt to see if the password was set up properly and exited from the prompt.  Now I cannot log in.

The CLI displays my login banner, the hostname, and a prompt for login.  I initially thought it was the hostname, but that  failed.  I tried the default "root-password" and got no result.  I'm stuck and don't know where to go from here.  I cannot get back to the setup script.  Is there anyone who could help?

Cordially,

Sam

P.S.  I also cannot find any documentation as to if Cisco Prime 4.2.5 works with the MSE 3355.  Do they function together or is there a software upgrade for Prime to interact with it?  All answers would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Sam, The fact that you set up

Sam,

The fact that you set up the GRUB password works in your favor.  The process for password recovery is below:

This is found in the Installation and Initial Configuration Guide found here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/mse/3355/user/guide/mse3355_qsg/mse_qsgmain.html#wp1053115

Hopefully, you can get through the whole process without issues.  Otherwise a call to TAC may be the only way to fix it.

The question about Prime 4.2.5 interfacing with MSE.  4.2.5 means that you are using Prime Lan Management Solution (LMS).  I believe you need Prime Infrastructure to interface with MSE.

Here is a link to the Supported Devices in Prime LMS 4.2:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4-2/device_support/table/lms42sdt.html

Please Rate Helpful posts and mark this question as answered if, in fact, this does answer your question.  Otherwise, feel free to post follow-up questions.

Charles Moreton

Charles,Thanks for getting

Charles,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Sorry for the delayed response.  The information you provided was helpful, but it turned out I was able to get into the MSE after all.  What I did was use "root" as my login and I typed what was my GRUB password as the password to get back to CLI.  Also, thanks for the tip on Cisco Prime Infrastructure.  My company has the software, but will have to get the license for it.

As far as rating this post.  Is that done by clicking one of the stars below your response?  I want to make sure I do it properly.

Cisco Employee

Sam, I am glad you remembered

Sam,

I am glad you remembered the password!  That just made things a lot easier for you.

Yes, the stars below the post.  Thanks for using the rating system to keep the Support Community one of the go to destinations for solutions.

Views
Helpful
Replies