cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

MSE Upgrade Question

Greetings,

I am planning on upgrading my MSE from 7.2.110.0 to 7.4.110.0 so I can upgrade to Cisco Prime Infrastructure. After reading the release notes, step 1 has me wondering what data will be lost. See below.

"Step 1 Back up the existing database using the Prime Infrastructure. (We recommended this.)

All data existing on the system will be lost and a fresh blank database will be created."

What I am wondering is will all the configuration of MSE be lost as well such as network settings? If I attempt to do this remotely will I lose my ability to connect to it?

Thanks,

Robert

Everyone's tags (3)
6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: MSE Upgrade Question

It depends on how you upgrade. There are a couple of scenarios. One of which wipes the MSE first. Another does an I place upgrade.

Personally I prefer the data wipe, then resync to the PI server.

But you should still be connected after the upgrade and be able to run the setup script to reset the initial configs before oh reboot it.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Just to add to Steve's post. Just because you are upgrading to Prime Infrastructure doesn't mean that you have to upgrade your MSE or WLC. Typically the code you run on the WLC will dictate what version you will need to run in the MSE and Prime Infrastructure. Here is a matrix to look at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html#wp113696

I too usually wipe the MSE if I don't have to migrate data. If you want to keep the existing data or if you don't know how to setup the MSE, then a migration is what you need to do, else just wipe and install.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

That matrix is like GOLD... I reference that all the time. I would just upgrade from NCS to Prime Infrastructure 2.0. Here is my tip on this.

Tip #1
I don't upgrade!!!! I would bring up a new VM with the requirements for PI 2.0 and then rehost the license. Then I would add the WLC's and then MSE. I would then export the maps from NCS and import them to PI 2.0. I hate upgrading due to experience with the upgrade failing or something just not working right. It's faster to just stand up an new VM.

TIP #2
Always perform a snapshot of the VM at multiple points!!!!

-Scott

Nah... I actually would keep both running in parallel until you decide to take down the old one. It's up to you, but I would bring up the new IP address. The MSE is fine and you dot have to remove the MSE from NCS if you don't want to.

-Scott

Let us know how it goes.

-Scott

Makes sure that you enter the ssh/https credentials for the WLC in PI, not just the community string.

-Scott
24 REPLIES

It depends on how you upgrade. There are a couple of scenarios. One of which wipes the MSE first. Another does an I place upgrade.

Personally I prefer the data wipe, then resync to the PI server.

But you should still be connected after the upgrade and be able to run the setup script to reset the initial configs before oh reboot it.

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Just to add to Steve's post. Just because you are upgrading to Prime Infrastructure doesn't mean that you have to upgrade your MSE or WLC. Typically the code you run on the WLC will dictate what version you will need to run in the MSE and Prime Infrastructure. Here is a matrix to look at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html#wp113696

I too usually wipe the MSE if I don't have to migrate data. If you want to keep the existing data or if you don't know how to setup the MSE, then a migration is what you need to do, else just wipe and install.

-Scott
Community Member

MSE Upgrade Question

Scott,

Thanks you for posting the link to the matrix. I was also looking at "Table 1     - AireOS Wireless LAN Controller Software Release Compatibility Matrix" on the same link but more at the top. I see now above this martix is states "

This matrix should not be used to get  compatibility information between other products, for example, Cisco  Prime Infrastrucutre compatibility with Cisco MSE. For compatibility  information between other products, see the respective matrices in this  document" So I goofed there.

The way I read it is it states I need to upgrade MSE to 7.4.110.0 for Prime 2.0. Now looking at the table in the link you sent just makes me more confused as what I need to do. Let me breakdown what versions I have currently.

• WLC - 7.4.110.0 - Good for Prime 2.0 according toTable 6     Cisco Prime Infrastructure Compatibility Matrix
  • NCS - 1.1.1.24
  • MSE - 7.2.110.0 - Good for Prime 2.0 according toTable 6     Cisco Prime Infrastructure Compatibility Matrix
  • AP IOS - 15.2(2)JB2$

The point of me doing these upgrades is to get off of NCS and get onto Prime 2.0. Do you think I should just install Prime 2.0 and see how it goes at this point? I think I am ok now that I have read the matrix over. Thanks again.

Robert

That matrix is like GOLD... I reference that all the time. I would just upgrade from NCS to Prime Infrastructure 2.0. Here is my tip on this.

Tip #1
I don't upgrade!!!! I would bring up a new VM with the requirements for PI 2.0 and then rehost the license. Then I would add the WLC's and then MSE. I would then export the maps from NCS and import them to PI 2.0. I hate upgrading due to experience with the upgrade failing or something just not working right. It's faster to just stand up an new VM.

TIP #2
Always perform a snapshot of the VM at multiple points!!!!

-Scott
Community Member

Thanks again for the reply Scott.

I exported the maps from NCS and I already planned on installing a new VM since that is always the cleanest route. One question I have about NCS, should I remove the WLC and MSE from NCS before turning it off? I wondered if the WLC and MSE "knows" about NCS and will mess up Prime 2.0 if I do not remove them from NCS first before powering down.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Robert

Nah... I actually would keep both running in parallel until you decide to take down the old one. It's up to you, but I would bring up the new IP address. The MSE is fine and you dot have to remove the MSE from NCS if you don't want to.

-Scott
Community Member

Okay thanks again, I am installing now.

Let us know how it goes.

-Scott
Community Member

Hey I'm back. Everything went well but one thing I have yet to figure out is MSE is not showing the locations of the clients on the maps I imported in. For example once I login to CPI, I get the overview page that has the coverage area Dashlet.

On this dashlet it says that I have 14 clients on one of my maps. So I click on the map name and the map loads showing the AP, Heatmaps, Clients, 802.11 Tags and Chokepoints. Under loading status it does show "Done loading Clients" but no clients show.

The maps are assigned to the MSE and the Sync is occuring. When I select a client, under "Map" it shows

"No Location Information. Client is not detected by any MSE." I have rebooted the MSE with no change. We had this problem once before with NCS and I noticed that NMSP was not working but this time it is. Any ideas on why MSE would not show the clients?

Also one difference I noticed is on NCS there was a separate area for the WLC but on Prime I do not see that. I added the controller using Discovery but I just wondered if there is an area similiar for the controller like NCS had or did Cisco punt that separate area for the WLC.

Thanks.

Robert

Makes sure that you enter the ssh/https credentials for the WLC in PI, not just the community string.

-Scott
Community Member

Everything is good there. I am just going to try and update the MSE now but for some reason I can't connect to FTP the image file to it. I noticed using a port scanner that port 21 is closed and will not accept connections. Do you know of another way to transfer a image file to it?

Community Member

Disregard, I think I have to be the ftp server.

I think you should be able to tftp. Try to restart the service and see if you see any errors.

-Scott

I think you can upgrade through PI also. How are you trying to upgrade?

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content