Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple IP adress on one mac address?

Hi!!

I have a WLC 2504 and AP 1602. Is it possible to give the client multiple ip addresses with one mac address. If yes, how it's made on WLC or AP?

17 Replies 17

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A MAC address should only have one IP address. You should not have or try to have two IP address for the same MAC address (don't know how you would do that) but your arp table on the router would get confused and things would break.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

In certain cases there is a need to have multiple IP addresses responding beyond a single client wireless association. For example, some video cameras will have an internal communication module that tied to wireless interface via ethernet. Some PoS devices may have similar requirement.

In WLC there is an option WLAN->WirelessID->Advanced->Passive Client.

Now I am not sure if this will work with multiple IP addresses tied to the same MAC or not.

I have this problem with VMWare virtual machines that can not get ip address via DHCP. I note the following, that if you give a static IP address, everything works fine. Why is this happening?

Do you get the IP from the WLC DHCP? It likely just ignores the request.

I get IP address from external DHCP server.

Do you bridge the VMware virtual interface to a NIC in the host OS? I'd suspect that the WLC is blocking that request for second IP. Would it be difficult to set up a traffic capture after WLC and see if there are any DHCP requests leaving the WLC for the VMware hosts?

What is the topology in terms of the Vmware environment, can you draw or explain it?

Do you have a 1-1 virtual host to switchport arrangement or does your physical host have a trunk link to a single switchport?

Each virtual host will have a seperate MAC address and should have a seperate IP address, your physical host will also have an IP address and MAC.

Thank you! I got a similar problem when I installed a device with a third-party wireless bridge (Edimax EW-7438rpn) to link a wired-only device in a remote site for a centrally switched vlan. I know this is a tricky situation, but it didn't succeeded to solve this problem via regular bridge otherwise than using non-centrally switched vlan, and this device MUST be in the central vlan. Now perfectly working. 5**** idea.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well a single device will only have one IP address. If your talking about WGB, that's a different story. Each device still has a different IP address. Dhcp hands out IP address per MAC address.

VMworkstaion I think has an issue when you bridge the connection. I use parallels on MacBook and I can bridge. VMworkstation I never could.

-Scott

My topology: the PC with OS on which deployed VMWare with VM. I switched APs in Flexconnect mode and also faild.

I note that all devices connected to the wi-fi network and work well. Maybe there is some protection for the APs?

It's not supported as far as I know if you are bridging the VM's network connection.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/329343

-Scott

Good, why doesn't work in flexconnect mode?

You locally switching?

-Scott

Yes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card