Views
Helpful
Replies

multisite wireless network

Javi Benito
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm finding one Cisco Wireless solution for deploy in my company. Now We have 3com wireless network in HQ and in branch offices don't have wireless network.

My idea is quit all 3Com network and deploy a centralized Cisco wireless network. If I install Wireless Lan Controller in HQ and deploy several APs in the HQ and branch offices, could I management all APs from this WLC?

Thanks in advance.

Javi

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes You can... The APs which will be in HQ will be in Local mode and the one which will be on the branch site will be called as HREAP APs.

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

Cisco ACS is for Security purpose.. for any 802.1X authentication using external servers and all.. if you wanna use external servers for advanced authentication then this is neded..

WCS is the management and monitoring software. if you have multiple WLC and if you wanna manage ur network by one click, then we can use this.. instead of configuring on each and every device you can simply push the configs..

the questions that you have and these services cannot be linked.. The questions that you asked is to ge tthe network up and running and these services are for managing the network which is up.

Let me know how this answers your question..

Regards
Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

WCS is a software use to manage multiple WLC and run detail reports (WLC alone can't run reports).  If you think you'll need to generate reports then consider getting a WCS.

Another thing about the license to support "X" amount of APs for WCS, talk to your authorized reseller.  We are starting to deploy the new 3502 WAPs and they came with WCS License "bonus". 

7 Replies 7

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes You can... The APs which will be in HQ will be in Local mode and the one which will be on the branch site will be called as HREAP APs.

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Then, it's not necessary these two services?

Cisco Secure Access Control Server

Cisco Wireless Control System

Regards

Javi

Cisco ACS is for Security purpose.. for any 802.1X authentication using external servers and all.. if you wanna use external servers for advanced authentication then this is neded..

WCS is the management and monitoring software. if you have multiple WLC and if you wanna manage ur network by one click, then we can use this.. instead of configuring on each and every device you can simply push the configs..

the questions that you have and these services cannot be linked.. The questions that you asked is to ge tthe network up and running and these services are for managing the network which is up.

Let me know how this answers your question..

Regards
Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Ok, thanks

I've read this link and I was a bit confused.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns517/ns430/solution_overview_c22-523307.html

Now I have it a bit more clear.

Thanks

WCS is a software use to manage multiple WLC and run detail reports (WLC alone can't run reports).  If you think you'll need to generate reports then consider getting a WCS.

Another thing about the license to support "X" amount of APs for WCS, talk to your authorized reseller.  We are starting to deploy the new 3502 WAPs and they came with WCS License "bonus". 

Ok, thanks for the information

Javi

Thanks for the rating.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card